Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Metal Servo Arms?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hangar 9 Metal Servo Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hangar 9 Metal Servo Arms?

Hey,

How are you guys getting those Hangar-9 aluminum servo arms onto your 8611's? I don't want to hammer it on with a mallet, and I tried using the screw to seat it but that didn't go too well. What's ur trick? I'm trying to get this jet ready for CA Jets....
Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Metal Servo Arms?

Don't use them, they are junk because of the fit. Get your money back and find another solution. SWB is a good one.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynamite are Incredible... http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_61_101
Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
JerryBien

Gentlemen,

Have you ever consider [link=http://airwildhobbies.com/MoreInfo.asp?title=product&level=2&id=21]AirWild MLP aluminum servo arm[/link]?

Jerry Bien

[link=http://www.airwildhobbies.com]www.airwildhobbies.com[/link]
[link=http://www.airwildpilotshop.com]www.airwildpilotshop.com[/link]
Old 03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

I assume you are talking about the gold ones. Here is how I install them:

Center the servo first!

Apply anti-sieze (I use loctite brand bought from AutoZone)) to the inside splines on the arm (lightly)

Get an allen head cap screw that is 3mm x 10-12 mm

Set the arm on the output shaft, start the screw, hold the arm where you want it and snug the screw until it just starts to tighten the arm

Wiggle the arm until you are sure it is started on the splines and straight

The longer screw should hold everything aligned while you tighten the arm down

If the screw gets excessively tight before the arm is seated, the screw may be too long

They are a very tight fit!

If you need to remove an arm, I use a small gear puller that I have for electric motor pinions (MPI / Horizon) , they can be pried off, but it is not a good idea.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Old 03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Doug has made some good suggestions, just a longer screw to get them started then use the stock screw to seat them. The tightness has nothing to do with the hanger 9 horns, it is the inconsitancy in the servo output shaft from JR. We have tried the SWB arms on the same servos that are tight with the hanger 9 and they are just as tight to get seated, even with the double lock feature of the SWB units. Tight fit is a good thing, as long as you can get them on
Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

The tightness has nothing to do with the hanger 9 horns, it is the inconsitancy in the servo output shaft from JR.

I beg to differ with this statement. I have done this test with the same servo and several of the gold dubro arms. Some arms fit the same servo, and some arms don't. To me, that means it's in the arm.

It's a simple test, I would be willing to send several of the gold arms to anyone to do the same test. I can even caliper them if you want me to.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 PM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: seanreit

I beg to differ with this statement. I have done this test with the same servo and several of the gold dubro arms. Some arms fit the same servo, and some arms don't. To me, that means it's in the arm.

It's a simple test, I would be willing to send several of the gold arms to anyone to do the same test. I can even caliper them if you want me to.
No need to beg Sean .... Since I was rigging up a few servos in the shop I decided to try a test just to see the results. Took a HAN-3531 2-56 half servo arm and put it onto a JR-3421 servo, slid on like the nylon horns do. Took the same arm and tried to fit it onto a JR-8611A, couldnt get it down without using the screw method... you tell me, where is the inconsitancy?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 PM
seanreit

Grab 5 of the gold dubro horns, if all of them fit an 8611 servo exactly the same way (one servo) I'll buy them all and the servo. I have 10 gold dubro horns here that I bought from you over the years that are inconsistent. On the same servo. I quit using them because of this.

Harley Condra has verified my results in his own testing.

I guess we could be wrong, and someone here will say so. Whenever you and I have differed on issues like this over the years, I have been told I'm doing it wrong. Sometimes you were right, but I don't see how that could apply here.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
seanreit

More info, forget the testing, my mind is made up on this issue:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7125508
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 PM
lov2flyrc

Sean,
I believe you mean Hanger 9, not Dubro? As for the fitment issue...doesnt matter to me either way! I use them all the time and have personally found inconstancies in the servos. Could be both the servo and the arms for all I know [sm=bananahead.gif], never bothered to mic them up to see, but the test done today is enough proof for me that the servo spline size does vary.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Tom Antlfinger

I have been in Scott Benedix's shop when his now deceased master machinist dad used to answer a couple of calls a day regarding how to get the arms on/off.....this was at least 3-4 years ago when 8611's first appeared...this problem was due to the variable output shaft diameter of the 8611's, as Scott's original arms for the 8411, 2721 series of MG servos never had this too-loose or too-tight problem problem........

His crusty 80+ y/o dad's answer, "Read the instructions please"..........dab a little grease on the arm splines....then activate the servo and find center or whereever you want the arm positioned, and carefully align the splines with the output gearhead.....then slowly tighten the screw with a precisely fitting Philips screwdriver, holding onto the arm.....Do Not hold the servo alone while torquing on the arm screw or you may well strip the tiny little composite gear in the servo, the one closest to the motor......even with 8711's......

To get it off, use a properly fitting small flat screwdriver and gently pry around the base of the arm to get it started, then a somewhat bigger screwdriver to get it about 1/2 off....then it should slide off with mild pressure.......during this process, be careful not to bugger the output shaft gear while prying.....

When I set mine up, I use an older arm that has become quite loose to do the initial setup and then switch to the new one last thing......

Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 PM
flyexperimental

Hanger 9 tight fit on 8711A,but I did get it on by pulling it on with screw.SWB also just as tight ,even with the slot in the arm base and the clamping screw loose.You will not have to worry about either one of these arms slipping.
Joe