Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Aluminum clutch shoes are slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum clutch shoes are slipping

I haven't put much use on these Nova clutch shoes and today they started slipping with nearly zero traction. I have the 1.0mm springs on there running an Axial .28 motor.

When I took it apart there was a bunch of black stuff on the face of the clutch shoe (not powder that could wipe off)...seems like the coating on the inside of the clutch bell wore off and smeared all over the clutch shoes making them slip. Looks like it melted into the face of the clutch shoe.

I lightly sanded the remaining coating on the inside of the clutch bell and sanded off the black stuff from the clutch shoes.

I just put it back together and am letting the Loctite on the clutch bell screw dry. I'll see if that was the problem.

Anybody ever have this problem?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
BANKRUPTER

Default RE: Aluminum clutch shoes are slipping

Ive had that stuff on my bell and did the same thing with some 400 paper. But that wasnt my slipping. It was the slipper clutch and I blamed them caz they were new... lol I never even looked at it till after I still had the problem. Take a peek B4 you go back out..
Old 03-16-2008, 06:52 PM
-SomeGuy-

Is it possible your CB had some residue left over from the stock shoes? I have the nova shoes on a 18/47 gearing, slipper all the way tight and it grabs like nothing. Oh and i also set it up with the most weight on the shoes (large weight outside and small in the middle).
Old 03-16-2008, 06:59 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: BANKRUPTER
Ive had that stuff on my bell and did the same thing with some 400 paper. But that wasnt my slipping. It was the slipper clutch and I blamed them caz they were new... lol I never even looked at it till after I still had the problem. Take a peek B4 you go back out..
I looked at that...I held the clutch bell with a screw driver and revved it up. Nothing. It's in the clutch bell. Brand new slipper pad too.

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-
Is it possible your CB had some residue left over from the stock shoes? I have the nova shoes on a 18/47 gearing, slipper all the way tight and it grabs like nothing. Oh and i also set it up with the most weight on the shoes (large weight outside and small in the middle).
Brand new clutch bell that's never seen stock clutch shoes. I don't have these weighted, but I will next time I take it apart. I'm getting a SureFire .32R modded by RB and will put softer springs and full weights on it so it will nearly be dragging at idle.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
go-to

Go figure that...I fix the clutch and the slipper blows out!! [:@]

There's like 3-4 tanks of fuel on that pad...man I tightened it all the way down and put Loctite on the lock-nut. [:'(]

Now that I think about it I've burnt 2 slipper pads within 1 tank twice now. [] And that all started when I put the Tsais header and Dynamite 053 pipe on. Coincidence I think, but still.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 AM
jsflagstad

I clean my clutch bells with brake cleaner and rough them up with a scotchbright pad and then clean them again. Seems to work....

JSF