Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Cans or tuned pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:13 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cans or tuned pipe?

I was either thinking about getting the KS or Pefa.

Going on a DA 150. I heard that the full tuned pipe will pick up about 200-300 RPM but the midrange will suffer. I'm not sure if I would like that because 3D flying is all in the midrange, although I would like the added power for flying the sequence.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

And I want a rear exhaust as well so that it will exit under the back of the wing.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2003, 02:56 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard that 2 about the mid range i went with pefa cans on a 3w-150 running a 29 x 12 x 3 fuch love that set up.
very very quiet. i have never tried my 32 x 12 menz so i can say how much of a differece i would see on that prop or ss mufflers.

www.krayzc.netfirms.com
Old 04-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default 150 Pipes

On the DA 150, you'll want either the KS or the MTX canisters. Full length pipes will be huge. The KS I do know about and can give a few details. You'll want to run a header length of 12" measured from the center of the exaust port on the engine, to the front face of the pipe...that will be measured including the bends. The MTX pipes I have heard about and I think DA has those as well, but haven't got to see them yet. You may want to talk with Dave or someone at DA about those and see which one will have an advantage if any. The KS will give a 200-300 boost, but the midrange doesn't suffer that I can see. I have the 70cc caniters from KS on my 100, and the length is at 12" and they run fine. The length is the same for the 150. I've seen the KS cans on the 150's and they run the same as the 100's...it's kinda neat how that works out. I like the KS myself because of the added performance. The guys that have run the pefas told me that they don't give as much boost compared to the KS. These canister mufflers really have a sweet sound, and they quiet the plane down alot. I am also running a 3 blade and together with the pipes it is whisper quiet. With the 2 blades it's really tough to get the performance and keep the mach number down. The prop I'm running right now runs right at .6 mach and it still pulls the plane plenty. I really like the 3 blades better, they fly smoother and don't seem so jerky...the 2 blade does go on my plane from time to time just for kicks though, but it rips real bad if I'm not careful. Well, this is long winded, but I hope it helps you some on trying to figure out a setup for your plane.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:24 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Thats pretty much what I had found out and was planning on doing (KS cans). I just wanted to hear it from a few more people before I got it. I will talk to DA about it too.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Soem Info. I left Out

Hi JB,
The pipes can be pipey if you get them too short...the boost increases the shorter you go, but the mid suffers too. 11 to 12" is fine, but if you get near 9 to 10" you'll probably start seeing that midrange 'step' with them. The goal here is to keep them long! What aircraft is this going into? I do know a little bit about these pipe setups...there are a few things I do 'play with' every once and awhile.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default K.I.S.S. !!!

JB, I've been running the Pefa canisters for over 3 years now. . be wary of using a length of header outside the length the supplier recommends. In other words. .KISS DA has a system for the 150's that is designed specifically for the engine by PEFA. I'd follow thier recommended header length to within 1/4" and be happy with it. I have this setup, and it is EXTREMELY smooth throughout the rpm band, with very little in the way of a "pipe" feel to the throttle transition.

As for power increase over standard stacks? Expect 200-300 rpm. the system is extremely quiet, too. . expect 92-93 dB at 25 feet with a 29-12 3-bladed prop.