Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Lanier Yak 54 87" engine choice?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier Yak 54 87" engine choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
mooneypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Yak 54 87" engine choice?

Hello,
Iā€™m now the owner of a Lanier Yak 54 87ā€ wingspan ARF. I would like to go with the DA-85 engine with the reason of more future airframe choice. Or do I go with the recommended DA-50?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: Lanier Yak 54 87" engine choice?

too big and too powerful - it will tear that plane apart.

A 60cc engine is perfect for this airframe. Brillelli 366 is the best in that size...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
octanehuffer

Evolution 58. Tons of power for a 17lb plane.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: mooneypilot

Hello,
Iā€™m now the owner of a Lanier Yak 54 87ā€ wingspan ARF. I would like to go with the DA-85 engine with the reason of more future airframe choice. Or do I go with the recommended DA-50?

Thanks,
Jack
I see that you're a new member? Welcome to the forums!

You are asking questions which can be very subjective and lots of folks have some pretty strong opinions on various things. I would suggest you do some more research on your questions and then you'll have to decide on what options might be good ones for you.

With that in mind, I'll offer you a couple of my thoughts/opinions...

I've only seen one of these models around here, but there's no way in h*ll that thing could be built at 17lbs. It was a good bit over that weight. From what I've seen posted about Lanier, they all seem to be good models but quite overweight from what the advertised AUW should be. This one at our field was pretty well put together but it was heavy.

I have no experience with the Brillelli, but lots of folks have good things to say about them and for modelers living at or near Sea Level that may prove to be a really good choice for the Lanier.

I have seen the Evolution 58's around here and the 116's, I would not go there. Too many difficulties with with those engines for my tastes. Horizon has been good about repairing them, but how much hassle do you want to deal with?

We're at 4500' ASL so we have to go bigger on engines to get good performance due to the altitude. That brings me to your question about the DA-85...

The manufacturer says 50cc to 80cc engines are recommended.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLDE1&P=ML

I've seen people post about it's too big, it will tear the the plane apart....

While it is possible to get too big of an engine, in this case of an 80 size engine for this model I don't think that's true. The Lanier which lived here had a ZDZ-80 and it proved to be a good combination for our altitude and the weight of the model which was a chunk above the mentioned 17lbs. The ZDZ-80 and the DA-85 will both be about the same weight and size as the Evolution 58, but with substantially more power. Evolution claims the 58 will put out 8.5 HP but there is no way it'll hang with the 80 size engines in actual practice. Both of those engines are a little over a pound heavier than the DA-50 as is the Evolution.

Should you choose either of those engines, throttle management will be necessary but unless a model is underpowered one would not expect and IMAC type bird to be at full throttle anyway in any normal flight envelope including 3D. It is nice to have the extra power on an upline with several manuevers like a snap or something along the way. It's also nice to be able to "pop" up out of a hover should you need to do so.

Okay that's MY opinion, now standing by with flame suit on....
Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
octanehuffer

No flaming necessary. Your right, the Lanier kits are all very heavy. More like 18-19 lbs. A DA 50 would be a poor choice at this weight. Evolution 58 would be at minumum of size for it. It swings a 24x10 at 7000 RPM. As long as the frame will take it, the ZDZ 80 would be a great choice also. A DA 85 is way overkill. A DA 85 is taking place for the 100cc planes that weigh 25 lbs. Even at 25lbs the 85 is a rocket ship. Personally I would stay with 60cc.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well Zeeb definately got one thing right, we are some opinionated people around here... but most of it is driven by passion!

That being said I will offer my 2 cents here,.. people are correct this plane will be 18-19 pounds.. with a Brison 50 this plane would barely hover.. it would do it but crawl out slower than anything you want to watch.

DA85?? No way.. just not logical on any front period. That engine is throwing around 26 pound planes with ease.

ZDZ 80?? I say no way again.. way overkill.. my buddy hovers his 22 pound extra (on pitts muffler) around 1/4 throttle and it jumps out of hover.. its almost too low in the power band for it.

A good 60 will do just fine.. my Brillelli 60 would hover my 17.5 pound Cap with ease. Just use a quality prop.

There is a build thread around with a lot of lightening mods.. you can peel off the covering and use a hole drill in the rudder and save some weight easily. Keep it light and you will be happy.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I flew mine with a 3W 55i and it had good power for hoovering
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
mooneypilot

Thanks to all for the info. I went with the Brillelli 60cc.

Jack