Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Bowed ailerons on Pulse XT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Bowed ailerons on Pulse XT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:04 AM
jeffsend
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowed ailerons on Pulse XT ARF

I posted this on the ARF forum,but thought I'd add a link here as well since I haven't gotten any replies so far.
I just got a nice arf Pulse XT 40,but the ailerons have an awful large gap due to them being bowed outward. Is there any fix for this or do I just need to replace them? They are both the same which seems odd. Pics in the other thread...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7336659/tm.htm
Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bowed ailerons on Pulse XT ARF

I would contact the company 1st. They should replace them.

IF you want to try and fix them yourself:

1. Are the ailerons sheeted, solid or open bay ? If they are open bay type you can try using a heat IRON (not the heat gun) to shrink the covering to pull them into alignment. You do not want to use the heat gun as there is a better than 75% chance of melting the covering and/or having the seams shrink back. The iron lets you control the heat better, but you still need to be careful around the seams.

2. If they are sheeted, you will need to cut the covering, then cut the sheeting loose from the framework, reposition the aileron so it is straight (pin it in position) and reglue the sheeting.

3. If they are solid balsa, just make new ones.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
jeffsend

Thanks Campy. Yes that does help. They are solid,so I will see if I can get the company to replace them. I am a beginner when it comes to building so I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some technique I was unaware of to fix such an issue.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
FlyingGreg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it''s a gap issue, you can always cover the gap with clear coating, packing tape or use the same color monocote/ultracoate. I always cover the gaps in my airelons from the bottom and the elevator too if the gap is excessive. Replacing the entire airelon is no big deal. Most local hobby shops will stock popular sizes. If you can''t find the exact fit, buy two and do both sides. Of course you have to buy covering as well, and hinges. Just cut the existing CA hinge and put the new ones in next to the olddon''t try and get them out.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
jeffsend

ORIGINAL: FlyingGreg

If it''''s a gap issue, you can always cover the gap with clear coating, packing tape or use the same color monocote/ultracoate. I always cover the gaps in my airelons from the bottom and the elevator too if the gap is excessive. Replacing the entire airelon is no big deal. Most local hobby shops will stock popular sizes. If you can''''t find the exact fit, buy two and do both sides. Of course you have to buy covering as well, and hinges. Just cut the existing CA hinge and put the new ones in next to the olddon''''t try and get them out.

Thanks Greg,
I went ahead and used the ailerons they gave me,and pushed them in tight as I was gluing the hinges. I think it''s going to be alright. The gap is not so bad now and they still move pretty freely. However,I may go ahead and seal them anyway. The gap on the elevator turned out larger than the gap on the ailerons.
Do you ever seal the rudder too? Wasn''t sure how anal one should get about such things.
thanks,
Jeff