Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

What RPM should I be looking for with my 160FX?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What RPM should I be looking for with my 160FX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What RPM should I be looking for with my 160FX?

I have an OS160FX with an APC 18x6 prop and it is running great. I used my tach today and it showed 8600RPM. Is that a little on the low side? I have a Perry VP30 pump which is running great as well and I didn't exactally try to lean it out all the way yet to see what max RPM I can obtain. I was just wondering if 8600RPM sounds about right? I also want to try my Mejzlik 18x6 prop on it. It's seems to be a lot lighter than the APC, should I be looking for a different reading then?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:40 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: What RPM should I be looking for with my 160FX?

The reason for diff rpms between those 2 props is load not diff in weight. The diff in weight will be more of the diff in spool up time. I cant say which of the 2 props has the most rpm but i suspect that they will be semi close. The only way to tell which is better is to fly them both and deciding if you like one over the other.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

You didn't say whether your APC 18x6 is the wide-blade version, which is a popular prop for that engine. If it is the wide, 8600 is a decent outputespecially if the engine is young. The narrow blade version would spin a bit faster, but the wide blade is more popular. The 160FX, like most ringed engines, will pick up power over the course of one season into the next. The standard for that prop on that engine is 9000 after it's well broken in. You should not be in any hurry to jump up to that level. If the engine pulls your plane well, I'd continue to keep it slightly rich, for better reliability and bearing life.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, ya it is the wide blade prop. I will try the Mejzlik soon to see the difference. I got that as a gift, so I hate to not use it. I love that 160FX. what a great engine!