Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 100 running on one cyl?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 100 running on one cyl?????

I have a DA 100. It seems to start fine. Once it is in the air, it will loose one cyclinder. The left cylinder stops firing. If I throttle up to full, the cyclinder kicks back in until I go back to low throttle or midrange again. I do not think it is the ignition as the ignition is new. I have tried adjusting the high and low mixtures to no success. I have the high end adjusted just until I could tell it was starting to lean out, then backed it off about 1/8 turn. I have had the low end lean until the transition is bad and rich enough that it really lags on the throttle response. Any ideas?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: DA 100 running on one cyl?????

the ignition should be replaced.....
Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Gary Arthur

Its a new ignition. The last one quit on one side. Is this a common problem? Is it possible it is bad after only 4 -5 flights?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

your new one will still be under warrenty send it back
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Change the plug wire on each cylinder to the other and see if the other cylinder drops off and you will know for sure if it the ignition.

Milton
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

If this ignition replaces one that wasn't working, is the cylinder that goes cold the same one, or did it change? You could have a bad spark plug, it's not uncommon for a plug to quit under high demands and then run again when the "pressure" is off. Swap the plugs and see, or get another CM6 and see what happens. Two ignitions doing the same thing seems odd, but not impossible either.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Don't forget to check your ignition battery........ Can it hold up to a 1 amp load without dropping too low in volts? Ignitions don't use a lot of current, but they have a pretty good surge when they do pull it. If the battery isn't up to snuff, it will cause one cylinder to drop out.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally both cylindes will drop out at high rpm with a weak battery, but both will come back on line at low power settings. Plugs are cheap so replacing both won't be a big deal. Swapping plug wires is a good idea after replacing the battery with another in good condition. If the problem persists after swapping the plug wires and battery it's time to call DA. They make pretty good ignitions and don't fail very often.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Gary Arthur

The battery is in great condition. The plugs are also new with the new ignition.

When I had the problem last time, I switched the plug wires and it followed the wires, that is how I knew the ignition was bad last time. I will do this test on the new ignition.

Just seems strange that I could have two bad ignitions. Is it a common problem with DA ignitions?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:03 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Wounder if it could be the sensor,
Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Tired Old Man

Good point. Until recently had been under the impression they were either go or no go items. Learned through another thread that a sensor can cause a rough engine.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah it sounds like the ignition and you already know the test and about checking the battery, but one other thing you might try is to tighten up the sparkplug gap a bit and see if that cures it?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
rmh

My first guess is a bad plug fouling at a rich low end setting
try replacing the plug and setting gap to .018 -just to see.
wipe inside the cap too.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 AM
onewasp

About ten years ago a Nationally rated Pilot (who shall remain nameless) sold a plane with engine because the engine, an opposed twin, would decide to run on one cylinder at various times.

His price for the set up was less than the engine costall by itself-! Both plane and engine were "new" (less than five gallons) and didn't have a single mark on them..

The new owner took it to a much older Nationally rated pilot, who quickly determined that a spark plug lead was separated.

It still flies to this day!

The moral to the story is many-fold a) trust your experienced elders b)the younger group tends to be all speed and no control [)]
the list is actually much longer.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: onewasp

About ten years ago a Nationally rated Pilot (who shall remain nameless) sold a plane with engine because the engine, an opposed twin, would decide to run on one cylinder at various times.

His price for the set up was less than the engine costall by itself-! Both plane and engine were "new" (less than five gallons) and didn't have a single mark on them..

The new owner took it to a much older Nationally rated pilot, who quickly determined that a spark plug lead was separated.

It still flies to this day!

The moral to the story is many-fold a) trust your experienced elders b)the younger group tends to be all speed and no control [)]
the list is actually much longer.
you are so funny. The bottom line in the story is that the guy he took the engine to had some experience age regardless..Young people may also have experiens. Many young pilots knows a lot more than the elders. My dad has been flying since thelate 60s. He dont even know what what in the bu.. when it comes to new stuff, big engines.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Tired Old Man

DA has a help forum over at the giant site. Wouldn't hurt to go there or give their office a call.