Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

3mm TOC-53 canister results

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3mm TOC-53 canister results

I have at long last had a few minutes to play with an engine, I've been wanting to do this for a long time.

I had a 3mm TOC-53 that I had been working on for a customer, when I got done I decided to test out the new "Bud Beerbottle" muffler that I made.

Starting with an aluminum Budweiser bottle I just glued in a 1" inlet pipe about 8 inches long, then added two 1/2" outlets. Total guesswork. I used JB weld just to see how it would work, I've heard of other people making mufflers that way.

I used a standard canister header like we sell every day and started the engine up. Right away I saw a difference from the stock muffler, it was now a little rich and sluggish to respond. But when it did get up to speed, wow, the engine had picked up 250 rpm, gone from 6800 to 7050 on a Vess 22-a.

But after about 30 seconds of running the JB weld came apart and the test had to be aborted. The inlet and outlets both broke.

I then retested the engine with the inlet pipe from the muffler still attached to the header, just no beer bottle. Very loud, and RPM had dropped off back to the 6800 rpm of the stoxck muffler. So now I know that the TOC-53 likes to have a little back pressure, apparently the exhaust port ius scavengine the cylinder so well that part of the incoming charge is going out the exhaust.

So I went to a K&S 86-4 muffler, rpm was back up to 7000 and boy was it quiet.

So here's what I have learned. A canister setup definitely makes more power, quite a bit more.

More results to follow soon.

TF
Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3mm TOC-53 canister results

Tom do you sell K-S 86-4 mufflers Rich
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: bladebender

Tom do you sell K-S 86-4 mufflers Rich
Yes.

TF
Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
MLC

I got 7000 today on a cannister set up I got from WH for my Extra300 with a 22x8 WH prop. I am very happy with the set up as it flys the plane nicely.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: MLC

I got 7000 today on a cannister set up I got from WH for my Extra300 with a 22x8 WH prop. I am very happy with the set up as it flys the plane nicely.
You can probably get it up to about 7200 with the new reed valve that will be available in about 2 weeks.

TF
Old 05-04-2008, 05:06 PM
MLC

How much is that upgrade? What else will it improve besided the top end?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
MLC

Nevermind, I just read the 3MM update post.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: rctom

ORIGINAL: MLC

You can probably get it up to about 7200 with the new reed valve that will be available in about 2 weeks.

TF
I am interested in this topic!! I finally got the "bugs" worked out of my setup, and noticed that the supplied fuel tee had cracked while I was diagnosing a starvation issue.... I broke the tee. plain and simple.. but the "blockage" that I was looking for inside the tee, was actually the tee itself! if you were to take a straight pin, heat it up and poke it into a piece of plastic, this would approximate the diameter of the fuel passage through the tee! once replaced, this thing really woke up! I love this engine, and since replacing the tee, I am even more impressed by it! If there is a way to get a significant increase in power over what I already have, I'm interested!! I have to get a new tube from you due to a bubble in my fuel line followed by an itchy elevator finger and a friggin bush that had roots as big as a semi-truck, and I hope that by the time I fix the wing, and am ready to order it, you will have some numbers with the canister and reed valve-

Patiently waiting on the "news"...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
rctom

We had a batch of TEEs that did that. They are the ones with an angle cut on them.

If you have one of them it shold be replaced. You can buy a new TEE at Home Depot for about $.50. THey are used for drip irrigation, 1/4" tee.

The bad ones will either get plugged or will break or both.

TF
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 AM
exciter900rr

Totally cool- I replaced it, no problems here- I know you constantly look out for the best products at the best price- and don't have a problem changing things out in your kits/engines to reflect that- That is why I chose you as a kit mfr. for my first giant, and for more to come, when the time comes!!! I am just curious (ballpark) what the power increase would be with the reed upgrade and the canister.... like 10% or so? it feels good now, but if it's better with the upgrades, then why not???? [:-] My wing is totally repairable, and I only need one. so I figure with the money saved from fixing the wing in question, rather than replacing the set, I might be able to upgrade the engine and exhaust!!! but I might need a new cowl so I could clean it up a bit..... If you don't mind, what are you getting for the cowls? extra 300 28%? I just might be able to swing it and the can and reed upgrade....

God I have an expensive hobby...... Still cheaper than other alternatives!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 AM
rctom

Cowls for the 28% Extra are $35.

The kit will add 150 to 350 rpm. A canister kit helps also.

TF