Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Revo keeps stalling!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Jeff Oliver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo keeps stalling!!

Hey everyone,

I got a quick little question about my Revo 3.3 Last few days I have been having some problems with my Revo 3.3. Just this afternoon I was actually using it, nice and sunny and around 64F out side. Great wheather to run in. Anyways, it seems after a minute or so of using when ever you come to a stop or even let go of the throttle for a little bit it shuts right off! It does this when taking off a bit. But i'm like 80% sure that it is not any of the gauges or to lean or anything like that. Revo expert at the hobby store tuned it about a week ago, I made no adjustments since. I've changed the glow plug quite a bit within the week as well. 2-3 times. Seems like there going through quickly. Anyways, after it stalls it has a really hard time starting to, sometimes it won't kick in until you let it sit a bit. My EZ start controller and glowplug heater are both charged very full.

So i'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? Do I need another new glow plug!? The one I got is like a day old. It starts, but seems to be stalling. The engine is warm enough, I just don't get it. It's all tuned great.

Anyone have any suggestions to get it running back to normal?

Thank-you.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 PM
MT

Default RE: Revo keeps stalling!!

ORIGINAL: Jeff Oliver

Revo expert at the hobby store tuned it about a week ago, I made no adjustments since.
Sometimes nitros need to be tuned more than once in a day, if the weather changes enough. If it has been a week, you probably need to tune it. Sorry, nitro engines need constant tuning, for this reason, you should learn how to do it yourself. The DVD that comes with the Traxxas cars does a pretty good job at explaing, watch that and re-tune.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM
rturbineguy

Dito, need to tune everyday to the weather conditions, if its doing it at idle its a combination of the low speed jet and Idle screw, and remeber always make very small adjustments (1/4 turns) on a WARMED up engine.. Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Jeff Oliver

Well it seems tuned right, it's just stalling a lot. I don't know if it's to rich or lean or what.
How should I tune it? The temperature now is like 72F, when tuned it was say, 60?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
iamnot

it may "seem" tuned right to you
but it is not
the stalling thing is an indication of a bad tune

we cannot say if it's lean, rich or what
but that does not matter anyway

reset the needles to factory and tune the engine

tuning is a huge part of owning and running a nitro rc

to learn how read your manual and watch the dvd that came with your truck

if you don't have that
go here
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=276

it's not hard
it just takes practice

good luck
Old 04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Jeff Oliver

ORIGINAL: iamnot

but it is not

if you don't have that
go here

it's not hard
it just takes practice

good luck

Thanks for the reply. And yes I do have the manual and DVD and all that information about tuning and what not, although i'm not convinced that is the problem. I just brought it out litereally 10 minutes ago, and same thing, keeps stalling. It seemed a bit lean so I thought it might be from not enough fuel going through, so I richened it up quite a bit, and it still stalls. Sometimes it even stalls on a high RPM, that should not happen. I'm quite convinced that it is a bad glow plug. When first starting when I take the glow plug heater off, it will shut off imediately if I do not keep it revved. I'm quite possitive that it is the glow plug, if so, what is causing them to burn out so quickly? I've went through 2 bran new ones and I barely even used them! I'm running on the McCoy MC-8. Medium - High heat glow plugs. The go by pretty quick, is this normal? Is it possible them to become junk after short usages?

That is what i'm stuck on at the moment.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: iamnot

but it is not

if you don't have that
go here

it's not hard
it just takes practice

good luck

Thanks for the reply. And yes I do have the manual and DVD and all that information about tuning and what not, although i'm not convinced that is the problem. I just brought it out litereally 10 minutes ago, and same thing, keeps stalling. It seemed a bit lean so I thought it might be from not enough fuel going through, so I richened it up quite a bit, and it still stalls. Sometimes it even stalls on a high RPM, that should not happen. I'm quite convinced that it is a bad glow plug. When first starting when I take the glow plug heater off, it will shut off imediately if I do not keep it revved. I'm quite possitive that it is the glow plug, if so, what is causing them to burn out so quickly? I've went through 2 bran new ones and I barely even used them! I'm running on the McCoy MC-8. Medium - High heat glow plugs. The go by pretty quick, is this normal? Is it possible them to become junk after short usages?

That is what i'm stuck on at the moment.
If your burning plugs your to lean, plug should last 1 gallon atleast.

Have you turned the motor over by hand? how is the compression?

Is there oil build up by the fly wheel around the front bearing? could be an air leak?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 AM
bono130

Hey I'm having the same problems, I keep resetting my needles to factory settings...but after about 2-3 minutes of operation it stalls and it's really hard to restart...I have to let it sit...very frustrating...I'm only on my 6th tank of fuel...I'm not sure what's going on!!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

Not to sound like a know it all, but I'm pretty good with those nasty little buggers(nitros in general), but I have in my time run into the exact same experience as Jeff & bono(with the Traxxas mills). You can tune and check for leaks for days and it'll run exactly the same! I'm not bustin' on Traxxas but I've heard this same story sooooo many times. Seems some were good engines and some weren't. Even a good one is very sensitve to proper tuning, moreso than most! I gave up and got an OS18TM. Been ear to ear grinnin' ever since! I here there's a 21 TM now[>:]!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
JatoGuy

Hey everyone,

I got a quick little question about my Revo 3.3 Last few days I have been having some problems with my Revo 3.3. Just this afternoon I was actually using it, nice and sunny and around 64F out side. Great wheather to run in. Anyways, it seems after a minute or so of using when ever you come to a stop or even let go of the throttle for a little bit it shuts right off! It does this when taking off a bit. But i'm like 80% sure that it is not any of the gauges or to lean or anything like that. Revo expert at the hobby store tuned it about a week ago, I made no adjustments since. I've changed the glow plug quite a bit within the week as well. 2-3 times. Seems like there going through quickly. Anyways, after it stalls it has a really hard time starting to, sometimes it won't kick in until you let it sit a bit. My EZ start controller and glowplug heater are both charged very full.

So i'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? Do I need another new glow plug!? The one I got is like a day old. It starts, but seems to be stalling. The engine is warm enough, I just don't get it. It's all tuned great.

Anyone have any suggestions to get it running back to normal?

Thank-you.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr before you go crazy with the tuning stuff you could just check the clutch spring to make sure its not broken or missing all together. If its the spring the car wont idle and is hard to start, but will work under throttle. I would start there. One way to check without taking things apart is to see if the car tries to roll when you put the Ez Start on. If it does your spring is no good. [link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=34&id=96]traxxas spring info[/link]

And like any good forum user will , post back when you get it figured out to help the rest of the community.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Rob6

I would richen it up on the low end and replace the Glow plug. Sometimes the glow plug is bad. They do just go bad some times.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Checkpointracer

Check if you engine has compression by trying to turn the flywheel with you hand, if it gets very difficult at some point then the engine's good, but if it turns over very easy then you going to need to replace your piston/sleeve.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Rob6

ORIGINAL: Checkpointracer

Check if you engine has compression by trying to turn the flywheel with you hand, if it gets very difficult at some point then the engine's good, but if it turns over very easy then you going to need to replace your piston/sleeve.
Or do the Traxxas exchange.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: Rob6

ORIGINAL: Checkpointracer

Or do the Traxxas exchange.

You'd save quite a bit of money changing it yourself, A new piston/sleeve for the 3.3 is $60-$70. The traxxas exchange is about $120 to $130 I beleive.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Rob6

Yes you are correct but if the OP has little experience with taking apart a engine then it will save a lot of head aches!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 PM
JatoGuy

Or you could check the clutch spring....