Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help: nitro .12rss engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 AM
NitroNuub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: nitro .12rss engine

Hey Folks,

i need some help with a problem i have. I just replaced my engine with a used HPI nitro .12rss racing engine (pullstart) into my RS4-2, from what i was told it was only used once. Upon complete dissassembly of the engine, i inspected the piston and sleeve assembly and it has alot of pinch so i know that compression is still good and the walls of the P/S are not scored so i know im good in this area. I have completely cleaned and sealed the engine and carb areas with hi temp gasket sealant and also sealed up the exhaust port too. Now here is the problem I CANT GET IT STARTED!

Ive set the needles to factory spec (HSN 3 turns out) (LSN flush with throttle body) as well as idle screw (when starting the engine i have the throttle half open)
charged up the glow ignitor and checked the plug (nice bright orange) it currently has a A3 plug (does anybody know if that is the correct plug to use on this engine? it came with the engine)
primed the fuel to the carb.

spent about 1 hr pulling the pullstart to no good effect. One thing i have noticed 15 mins into pullstarting is that fuel was spitting out between the heatsink head and the engine block, i tightened the head as much as i can thinking that that was the problem but i still couldnt get it started. the heatsink does have the gasket because i checked.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. btw im using 20% nitro / 12% oil

Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
NitroNuub

Default RE: Help: nitro .12rss engine

bump. need help on this one guys.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM
NitroTherapist

So you've got fuel coming out the top of your engine, and your glow plug is good but the fuel isn't igniting?? Thats weird.
I don't know what to tell you man consult someone at your LHS.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 AM
iexion

From the engine to the heat sink ( cooling head ) there is a brass (im guessing brass or copper) spacer that goes there, but even if its not present the engine SHOULD start, And you are sure your not flooding the engine?

If you took the engine apart, im sure you have put it back together correctly so thats not the issue. AS long as ALL parts are moving freely and the glow ignitor and glow plug are functioning properly, THERE IS NO REASON WHY THE ENGINE SHOULD NOT START.

My guess is to empty out all of the fuel in the engine, by taking out the plug making sure the ring is still attached to it, turning the rs4 up-side down and using the pull start. empty out all the fuel.

After doing this try doing something different, Close the HSN fully and try starting the engine. Then put a few drops ( 5-7 ) into the carb and try starting it, If the engine even barely starts or does start up for a bit then dies, you'll know you have a "bad tune" (which then im guessing it was WAY too rich)

And if fuel at any point comes out of the engine (spits out of the carb, thru the heat sink,exhaust ect..) you have seriously flooding the engine and need to empty out the fuel to even attempt to re start it.

Also one last thing. make sure the exhaust head it tighten fully with the seal with it going to the engine. If any of this doesnt work then im out of guesses
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 AM
NitroNuub

^^ thanks guys for your input. I brought the car to my LHS, and from their first pull on the pullstart they said that the engine is shot. I explained to them that from my research on the internet, the .12r ss engine is designed that way (easy pullstarting)... well they laughed at me and told me that ALL nitro engines should have resistance at the pullstart, and showed me how a good compression engine should be. (A good indication of a good engine is if you can lift the entire car from the pullstart then the compression is good, if you are able to pull the pullstart all the way out and the vehicle is still on the ground then the compression is shot). oh well, its time for me to look into purchasing a new engine. Right now im looking at the following engines:

OS .18cvrx
OS .15cvrx
HPI Nitro T-15

any recommendations? Im looking for one that is designed with quality, and reliability in tuning and running. thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
iexion

OS.18 cvr (x)

Great engine for the money and plenty of power.

Those 12rss engine are great engines to but since they are discontinued (and becoming more rare) its hard to find a new pistion and sleeve for it.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
NitroTherapist

18 cvrx= most Bang for the buck