Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tamiya Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Calamari100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Connectors

How do you replace a tamiya connector on an ESC once its melted?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tamiya Connectors

You will need to cut the connector off by cutting the esc wires as close to the connector as possible (where there is still good wire insulation). If you are going to continue using tamiya style connectors, you can crimp the new connectors on the wires and slip them in the plastic shroud. Unfortunately, if you melted them once, it will happen again. I would suggest going to a different style of connector, such as a DEANS or lightspeed (this will require changing the connectors on your batteries and charger as well). You will need to solder the new connectors on (vs getting away with crimping with the tamiya style).
Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Calamari100

ok thanks for the advice. Is it expensive to change your charger batts esc etc... all to deans plugs? What makes them so good anyways
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not expensive, should cost you less than $15 for all the connectors you need assuming you have soldering equipment.

The advantage is that they carry more current safely and have lower resistance. i8tweety is right in that whatever burned out this connector is going to burn out another low quality connector as well.

Tamiya connectors, among others, are no longer suitable for todays high current ESCs.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
oldschoolracer
Banned

ORIGINAL: sheograth
Tamiya connectors, among others, are no longer suitable for todays high current ESCs.
Even if you go back to when they were first introduced on the market they weren't.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
cobra26

I converted all connectors to Deans several years ago (I fly R/C planes as well), but got tired of pulling them apart for charging and moving batteries, ESC's, and receivers among models (they ARE difficult to seperate!).

I stumbled across Anderson Power Poles about 8 months ago and have re-converted everything to them now, and use their recommended crimper (no soldering involved). They have less current loss than plain old 12-guage wire so they are just as good as Deans in that category BUT, are far easier to use, seperate, and move around!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 AM
rcluke

screw tamiya and deans connectors, get corally style ones, they are much better !

they don't get hot and they transfer more current, not to mention being easier to solder.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
omg no name

deans are a bit hard to solder at first but you will get use to it
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
oldschoolracer
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcluke

screw tamiya and deans connectors, get corally style ones, they are much better !

they don't get hot and they transfer more current, not to mention being easier to solder.
Everything can get hot.
All of the better quality plugs on the market carry the same amount of current, and have similar current loss rates.
Soldering is soldering, either you can or you don't know how.
[8D]
Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 PM
rcktpwrd

ORIGINAL: cobra26
I stumbled across Anderson Power Poles about 8 months ago and have re-converted everything to them now, and use their recommended crimper (no soldering involved). They have less current loss than plain old 12-guage wire so they are just as good as Deans in that category BUT, are far easier to use, seperate, and move around!
I think the Anderson connectors are the same as the ones sold by Duratrax, I just got a bag of these to replace melted Tamiya connectors. They are way better, but I suppose almost anything is better than the Tamiya connectors!
Tower has them in a bag of 20 for $14: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD176&P=SM I actually solders the wires into them as that is what the instructions say to do, it was very easy.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Calamari100

I dont know how to solder.......
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
sfsjkid

I've been using Deans for the last 10+ years after melting a Tamiya. Its not that hard to learn or find a friend that does. Here is one test of the differences between the connectors.

http://www.stefanv.com/rcstuff/qf200001.html

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
cobra26

Get these Power Poles and also order one of their crimpers. They are fantastic and VERY low to NO resistance loss with NO SOLDERING!

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp...015&CtgID=3578