Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Remove a Profile Wing???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Remove a Profile Wing???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:48 PM
SpockF4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove a Profile Wing???

Help,
My son FINALLY discovered the joys of rekitting an airplane. (It's about time...he really took to this hobby!) At any rate we have a Tower "Fun 51" that has the profile fuselage broken in half just aft of the wing. The gear also split the front half of the fuselage where it was attached at the leading edge of the wing. After reviewing the damage I have decided to build a new profile fuselage using the plans. I just don't know the best way to remove the epoxied in wing without damaging the wing. Naturally, there isn't a scratch on the entire wing. I plan on just sawing the fuselage away from the wing as best I can until I get close to the epoxy joint....then what?? Is there any way to soften the epoxy or do I just go at it with the dremel. Would it be easier to just cut the sheeting away from the center of the wing and then replace it in the rebuild. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ken
Old 05-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are solvents that will dissolve epoxy, but they are so nasty as to preclude trying to use them on balsa, within the house, or under commercial flight lanes. Epoxy is great stuff and will re-bond to old epoxy, as long as it has been well sanded to remove the amine wax that seeps to the surface. As a further help to a good bond, you can drill a bunch of small holes (1/8" is plenty big) for the new epoxy to fill and serve as a better mechanical joint.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat will soften the epoxy, then acetone can remove the goo once the fuselage is removed..
Or you could cut the fuselage to where it's a slide-in/plug-in to the new one.
Leave a 1/2" or so margin of wood around the wing, in a rectangular form for ease of installation, cut a hole in the new fuse and install...
Maybe a dowel or two thru the whole thing to ensure it stays together.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:54 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut a slot in the fuse next to the wing with a knife and then slid a hacksaw blade in between the wing and the fuse and just slid it back and forth untill I was all the way around it.