Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

snapping cranks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
savagedriver01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snapping cranks

i broke 2 crankshafts on 2 diffrent hpi .25 engins in a week, i have been running the engines alittle rich but i do go WOT alot and do donuts in the dirt. i didn't think these engines would snap so easily, what am i doing so wrong? they where both broken in properly ( 2 gallons each ) and tuned very good
Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: snapping cranks

If they are breaking in the back where the pin goes then welcom to the club. If its breaking elswhere then [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif].
Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM
RSza
Banned

WOT IS NOT GOOD FOR ANY ENGINE
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

WOT is not good for any engine?

Do you adjust your throttle linkage so you can't open the carb fully?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:55 PM
beer=food
Banned

hahaha NEVER !
WOT isnt good for any engine of any type, but these r nitro, designed to rev there butts off, with super lightweight pistons and no rings, there made to rev, if a crank is snapping, l would put that down to over revs or poor design of the crank itself.
Never adjust ya servo so the throdle dont open righ up, ya loose half the fun of nitro remotes, unless ya kids drivin it, LOL !
These nitro engines will tune BETTER at WOT, so long as ya tunes not right out, they like high revs over low revs, they have didly squat torque in the bottom end, they need to rev there anus off to get there full potential.
Dont be scarred of WOT, it sounds like theres an issue with them cranks, l WOT ever nitro engine lve ever owned, thrown a few con-rods here n there, never snapped a crank but, oo, 20 odd years...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crank pins supposedly break once the lower end con-rod bushing becomes worn, and a "hammering" effect occurs. I've only broken one crank, and it wasn't the bushing. The engine was a cheapie....Force 26.....I'd put it through hell and back over more than a two year stint. It was my test engine for all kinds of experiments and it took a lot of abuse. But the crank pin broke....cheap cast crank I think.

By the way, the piston/sleeve wern't worn, and neither were either of the con-rod bushings. Possibility the crank bearings were on there way out, but they seemed ok (If the crank can move up and down, it puts weird loading on the crank-pin). Again, I think it's jsut cheaply made cranks. A steel billet, or better yet, a forged crank, all make more sense than a cast one....in any engine.

Maybe you were going at WOT for too long. 100 yards at a time is enough. Then, a nice cooling idle..............
Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: Argess

Maybe you were going at WOT for too long. 100 yards at a time is enough. Then, a nice cooling idle..............
I am sure [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGQq1sd9Jc]my turn[/link] is coming. I run them wide open until the tires come down, this pass was over 600 feet. The STS is known to be a crank pin breaker, when it breaks, I am sure it will be ugly.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Parputt537

Get an LRP or Picco and run the snot out of it. They like abuse
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've done this to a f4.1 last summer.
idle was set too high and set up agains the steps.
by the time i got the screwdriver it was to late.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 PM
beer=food
Banned

ppffftt L O L !
Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it was a good excuse to upgrade(newb mistake). it got the lrp after this.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could just imagine the horrible sound it must have made.. And the look on your face[&:]
Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 AM
beer=food
Banned

hahahaha LOL !
Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Argess

I've blown up two engines. The one I mentioned above, that took a lot of abuse over a 2 year period. Crank pin broke. The other was one where the throttle arm (barrel carb) was loose and the carb was actually wide open when I started it.....extreme revs with cold engine.....conrod broke before I could shut it off. In both cases, they made no sound when it went. Just sudden horrible silence......LOL. I just knew it was bad...............

Now...that look on my face?.....oh, I'll bet there was !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM
BudBud

My son started an 18 with the throttle wide open and the radio off. Instead of killing it or turning the servo back manually, he dropped it on the ground and ran off with his hands over his ears. It did not blow up, but it never had the same power after that. I am not sure what got damaged.... other than that, everything has held together so far. I am sure my STS is going to croak mid wheelie one of these days. Until then though, the party is on.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Argess

Yes...my turn too, no doubt. I run a lot on grass, and that puts extra load on the engine.....and I do the 100 yard runs too. With the type of driving I do, temp vs peak performance is always a compromise.

The engine that the throttle lever was loose was owned by a friend of my son.....a Nitro Evader. The ball diff had gone and some one at the hobby shop took it apart and gave him a list of parts to buy. I volunteered to put it back together. To this day I don't know if the hobby shop guy loosened the throttle lever to move the linkage, or it just loosened on its own. I started it in my basement to make sure everything was working OK. It was a mad scramble as the Evader tried to race to the end of my bench, but it really was only a few seconds before the con-rod let go.....seemed like a long time though. Then I had to explain to his parents..... In the end, I called Hobby Services, sent them the engine, and they sent me a brand new one. Good thing, as I was expecting to pay for that engine.

Sometimes when you try to help, things turn to...er....crap.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:00 AM
savagedriver01

guess i'am in the same boat as all you guys lol...live and learn i guess...lol
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 AM
youwish16

ive never really blown an engine, i did have an air filter fall off at the track and i drove about 15 mins before i noticed. after i shut the motor off, it would never start after that. lost all compression piston and sleeve were scratched up like hell. bought a new engine, went to the track again and air filter fell off again, this time i noticed immediately so i shut it off luckily saving this engine.

BTW i got a new air filter neck and havent had a problem since!