Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

Can someon explain brushless motors to me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Can someon explain brushless motors to me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 PM
slrsmokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someon explain brushless motors to me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok as Im sure you all know by now Im running a Losi XXX-S. Im considering going from a brushed motor to a brushless but I have NO experience with brushless motors so Im not sure what to look for to find a fast one. Ive noticed that brushless motors dont go by turns like brushed does. With brushed the lower the turns the faster the motor is. What makes a brushless motor faster. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Southern Cross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can someon explain brushless motors to me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly recommend buying a copy of the latest magazine buyers guide...can't remember which mag has it out now and my copy isn't handy...but it should be the only one on the shelf. I was new to all the brushless, LiPO super tech too. Most of my RC experience over the years was with Nikko and Tyco! There are some great sections in the beginnin where they tell you all about brushless vs brushed...details on LiPos..and a few other good articles. For brushless the higher KV rating the faster they are. I put a Losi Xcelorin 4800KV brushless/ESC combo in my XXX-T CR and it is stupid fast with a 11.1V LiPo. I wasn't used to the speed and burned off the antenna of my new SR31300 receiver when I was making a return run (my 1st with the new setup). I coming in at a good clip and figured I'd floor it...wheelied right over and skidding to my feet. I think the 4800 is lowest in Losi's Xcelorin BL line and I have to run the ESC at 50% and low motor timing just to keep control of it!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 AM
slrsmokey

Ok thanks. Ill look into that motor\esc combo u have. I might as well use a losi with a losi right?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
eckosof

thats what i did and im doing good so far, i have to make alot of adjustments to my driving and to the esc to harness the power. if you are going to go brushless and lipo, make sure you have a temp gun, heat is the killer. if you dont have a temp gun, use your fingers, at its hottest point you should be able to hold your fingers on motor for atleast 5 seconds, i do not recommend this if you have nerve damage and barely feel pain anyways because you could melt your fingers off if its too hot. I'm still learning pinion size compared to what speed and stability i like, but make sure you get it right the first time, stuff is expensive and its worth the extra time looking to it before buying.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Almighty ODST

that whole finger trick really only works with brushed motors. but like you said, the REAL good thing to do is buy a temp gun. in my experience with brushless motors, i couldn't hold my finger on the motor for longer than 2 or 3 seconds. I freaked out and bought a temp gun to make sure I wasn't burning up the motor. turns out, it was only 145 degrees and the motors safe limit is 200. And you don't HAVE to buy a losi brushless system just cus your car is losi. Any system would work. One thing you want to decide, if your racing your xxx-s you should check your track for brushless regs. most races consist of "sensored" brushless systems. Basically there are extra wires from the esc to the motor to sense the position of the rotor so it can smoothly initiate power output. With "sensorless" systems, the ESC uses some algorithms (i don't know the specifics) to sort of guess the rotor position at startup. With the new technologies, and as long as you have good batteries, you can hardly tell a sensorless is guessing the position cus there is hardly any more cogging. some systems you might want to look in to

http://b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=c_MambaMax5700

http://b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=e_MambaMax7700

or you could just get the losi that was mentioned before, but i was just stating that you aren't limited to that.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
eckosof

ORIGINAL: Almighty ODST

that whole finger trick really only works with brushed motors. but like you said, the REAL good thing to do is buy a temp gun. in my experience with brushless motors, i couldn't hold my finger on the motor for longer than 2 or 3 seconds. I freaked out and bought a temp gun to make sure I wasn't burning up the motor. turns out, it was only 145 degrees and the motors safe limit is 200. And you don't HAVE to buy a losi brushless system just cus your car is losi. Any system would work. One thing you want to decide, if your racing your xxx-s you should check your track for brushless regs. most races consist of "sensored" brushless systems. Basically there are extra wires from the esc to the motor to sense the position of the rotor so it can smoothly initiate power output. With "sensorless" systems, the ESC uses some algorithms (i don't know the specifics) to sort of guess the rotor position at startup. With the new technologies, and as long as you have good batteries, you can hardly tell a sensorless is guessing the position cus there is hardly any more cogging. some systems you might want to look in to

or you could just get the losi that was mentioned before, but i was just stating that you aren't limited to that.

i completly agree with you, i had a sensored novak 4500SS then went to sensorless xcelorin 7700, dont notice any clogging. Great idea to check local track for regs. Mamba motors are very popular, you will find much more support than the losi motors. From what i understand, mambas 7700 motors dont support S3 lipo's. so post what your planning on buying on here for suggestions.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 AM
jamiet2

novak or speed pasion are the bet as well as there speedos
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
slrsmokey

ORIGINAL: Almighty ODST

I know Im not limited to a losi system cuz thats what I run. I was just kidding when I said that. But I looked into a Team Losi 1/10 Xcelorin 7500Kv Brushless Combo because I figured it would be fast and in my price range. I dont race my XXX-S anymore because there is no onroad track in my town. There used to be a hobby shop that would do whats called a fun run and I would race it there but that shop closed and theres nowhere else to race thats near by. So Im just gonna be running it in parking lots pretty much. I actually want to get into drifting it. But I still need to work on that. Im also thinking bout getting an E Savage so Im probably gonna be swapping the motor and ESC between vehicles. So I will need something that will run that E Savage as well as my XXX-S. Ive heard alot of good things bout those Mambas and Novaks so I will look into those as well. Thanks for your help bro I really do appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
slrsmokey

This is the motor ESC combo Im thinking about getting.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...l?sfs=d9f3eee8
From reading about it it seems like a pretty good and pretty fast motor for the price. Keep in mind that I want a fast motor but I cant afford to spend over $200 on a motor right now. I still gotta buy some hop ups for my XXX-S and Im thinking about buying an E Savage cuz I want a truck too.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
RC-Hedgie

Hi,
I have just gone brushless with an Mtroniks Gensis controller. I dont race but bash hard, this ESC is waterproof and is ideal for my needs.

Check out Mtronics.net.

There is no programming software and adjustment is limited compared to the Castle Mamba Max, but hey you cant have everything !

Good luck

Martin