Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hull for rough waters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hull for rough waters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
birdman444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull for rough waters

Hi,

I'm really interested in building myself a nice Zen powered boat. The engine and hardware issues have become pretty clear: Starting out with a stock Zenoah, a tuned pipe, descent hardware etc. Now I'm wondering about what hull to buy or build. I would probably mostly run it in the sea in places where the surface rearly is still and there are usually some waves. I guess what I wnat is a hull that is a genuinly a DEEP-V and one that can take some beating jumpping the waves. I aware of the fact that seaworthyness sacrifices some top speed.

So, could you guys with more experience recommend a descently priced hull with these specs. Is it is available in europe it's a big plus because of ridiculous freight expenses from the US to Europe.

If you have plans for building a offshore hull with the above mentioned specs I'd like to see them!

Rob
Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hull for rough waters

Hi you cant go wrong with an appache type hull for rough water there are plenty available im sure over there?.Bigger is better as you say and if its a stock zen id go for a 50+" size hull,wont be a speed demon but will be a fun reasonably fast boat.If you fancy more speed why not go for a modded zenoah they are no less reliable than a stock one in my opinion.Dave Marles also has a miami style hull that you might want to look at too.Also try John Smith he makes hulls for running in the sea too.
[link]http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/deepvboats.htm[/link]

[link]http://riptidemodelboats.zoomshare.com/[/link]
Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
engineerjoe

I have an Enforcer Magnum 57 and it runs great in 6" chop to medium boat waves (maybe 8-12")

I need to get a clutch tho - that would help out a ton in the reall rough stuff
Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

If you like catamarans I used to have a AC blast cat 40 and it always ran fastest in rougher water. When the waves would get larger say 2-4 inches, it still handled very well. I have had lots of people say it's once of the best rough water handling cat available. One things for sure, I miss the boat. it would turn on a dime at WOT no problem....best handling cat I have ever operated........
Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Dan S

I have the AC Blast Cat 40 and they like it rough.

Dan.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
FE_Chris

See, everyone likes the BC 40!

I loved that darn boat....some say it's not a full out race cat, and it's not. it's needs a hotter engine to be competitive from what I am told, but I ran mine with a mid-mod zen 26cc engine and a 6717/3 and it did consistant 50MPH. VERY fun sprt boat, and from what I was told, with a good driver it could have been competitive in racing the way I had it setup. The guy I got it from said I would have been running in the middle of the pack for sure...He raced. Great deal he sold it to me for 700 bucks shipped ARR with the prop. I sold it for the same after I put 2 gallons through the engine.

I'll say this again, I LOVED that boat...

ORIGINAL: Dan S

I have the AC Blast Cat 40 and they like it rough.

Dan.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a deep V from what I have read the AC laser 45 is one of the best performing hulls in rough water.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 PM
stempak

I would say a 57 aeromarine apache or 57" signature series, For the waves you are describing
Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
BMAD01

YEPPER! I gotta jump on the Blast Cat wagon too! I had mine for 3 years and had a lot of fun with it. I never raced until last year at the district 20 finals. I figured what the heck and entered open gas. As soon as the race started, the winds from hell started a blowin![X(] Guys were blowin over and having a really hard time. The race course was scattered with stalled and flipped boats. My good ole Blast Cat spanked em all! I took first place in open gas! 3 first places, and a second place. (cut a bouy) Great boat! But it's gone now.[] I sold the hull a month ago. Time to move on... Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87009.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	965193  
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
FE_Chris

LOL....and again I say... I LOVE THIS HULL!!!!

Next boat I get, im getting another one of these BC 40's.........

ORIGINAL: BMAD01

YEPPER! I gotta jump on the Blast Cat wagon too! I had mine for 3 years and had a lot of fun with it. I never raced until last year at the district 20 finals. I figured what the heck and entered open gas. As soon as the race started, the winds from hell started a blowin![X(] Guys were blowin over and having a really hard time. The race course was scattered with stalled and flipped boats. My good ole Blast Cat spanked em all! I took first place in open gas! 3 first places, and a second place. (cut a bouy) Great boat! But it's gone now.[] I sold the hull a month ago. Time to move on... Brian
Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 AM
birdman444

Thanks for all the useful advice. I am still undecided wether to build myself or to buy an apache. Is it common to break a hull in rough waves? Are there boats that handle one foot waves?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 PM
stempak

a quality hull shouldn't break, you might even want a 65" boat, but a single full mod motor wouldn't be very fast if you wanted speed.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:23 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: birdman444

Thanks for all the useful advice. I am still undecided wether to build myself or to buy an apache. Is it common to break a hull in rough waves? Are there boats that handle one foot waves?
A few
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI2dGXk1FYg[/link]
Old 06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
w3bby

Take a look at some of the hulls from [link=http://miniracingteknik.se/]Mini Racing Teknik[/link] in Sweden, Faluga 1200mm (also comes in a larger version), they have a Team Strike 57" 1450mm, Carlsson or Coff both 1400mm.
Want something larger then the [link=http://www.noddv180.no/]Nodd 180[/link] is hard to beat but you need to go up in motor size.... they currently have a 130 under final testing.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
pompebled

Hi Birdman, check out the two last pics in my Gallery, the 52" Screwdriver hull should work for you.

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: pompebled

Hi Birdman, check out the two last pics in my Gallery, the 52" Screwdriver hull should work for you.

Regards, Jan.
Hey Jan hows she running do you have any video of her,i never did get round to building her but one day i just might .
Mart
Old 06-08-2008, 04:50 AM
pompebled

Same here, the hull still sits unfinished on the shelf...

No time.

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
birdman444

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

ORIGINAL: birdman444

A few
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI2dGXk1FYg[/link]
Nice looking racing! This video is one big reason I want to have a seaworthy boat. As anyone can see from the vid there is a big difference in how these boats cope with the waves. In the beginning of the vid you can see a couple of yellow boats that makes jump very rear-heavy and almost backflipping. At 4:40 you see a blu boat that seemes to be much better set up for the conditions. I know that set up plays a big role (Trim angle, rocker blades, weight distribution...you name it!) but what I know from full size boating is that jumping waves requires a truly deep V, over 24 degrees.