Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Repainting a whole boat including bottom, how bad of an idea is this?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Repainting a whole boat including bottom, how bad of an idea is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repainting a whole boat including bottom, how bad of an idea is this?

Working on restoring a PI hydro. I'm thinking about repainting the whole thing. Nothing is wrong with it, just don't like the fading color. I know that painting the bottom might or will change the ride for the worse. I just don't know how big of an issue it could be. Is there anything I can do to minimize the negative effect of painting the bottom? Has anybody done this before and have a success story? Thank guys.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
thevirginian

Default RE: Repainting a whole boat including bottom, how bad of an idea is this?

Why do you think that paintig the bottom will change the boat's running ability? Check what the paint ( if it is paint and not gel-coat) looks like on the bottom. If it looks kinda dull then sand your paint with 600 Wet & Dry after letting it cure for several days. The running surface on my "Insane" Hydro is purposely dulled for improved wetting in that area.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:38 AM
tmt32mj

Default RE: Repainting a whole boat including bottom, how bad of an idea is this?

Thanks for the reply. Actually, what I meant was by painting the bottom I might change the ride surface. It won't matter much when it's on plane but I wonder what could happen before it get on plane and how it might affect the time it takes for the boat to get on plane and how it runs in the corners... I plan on wet-sanding the bottom of the sponson on the clear coat after the painting is finished.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Paul M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The edges on the running surfaces should be sharp. Painting can round the edges which is not good. I wouldn't paint the bottom but that's me