Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

capacitor on xcelorin brushless

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 PM
eckosof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default capacitor on xcelorin brushless

I'm running a 7500kv xcelorin sensorless brushless system in my XXX-S, well the other day i did a small drift and then the car wasnt working right, long story short the capacitor blew. i ordered a new one and just replaced it, well after ensuring the car worked after i installed the new one i did a stress test on it since i knew it blew from having too much load on it the first time. so i held the car in place and gave it some juice, not alot but some, and the leads on the capacitor got red hot, and it started running like crap again(pretty much gave about a tenth of a second of juice to motor and quit and esc restarted). so my point is, is this common? and should it be able to take alot more abuse than that? im about 2 seconds from writing horizon who is the official support for team losi and start bangin heads around. anyone with any knowledge i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Southern Cross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: capacitor on xcelorin brushless

First...that car in your Avatar is oretty much the baddest car on the planet...I have a Micro RS4 dressed like that...turning my new TRF416 into it...and I've got about 4 or 5 diecast versions of it. I actually got to sit in a GTR once....very sweet. Anyway...what kind of battery/ESC are you running. I have the same setup in my XXX-T CR with the Xcelorin ESC and a Losi 3 cell LiPo. Mine barely gets hot at all...no problems so far.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 AM
eckosof

battery is venom 5400 11.1 3S, esc is the combo xcelorin, can link if needed.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Access

You need to use a low ESR capacitor, and keep in mind the voltage limits on the datasheet. Polymer aluminum (if it's less than 16V) is the best type.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
eckosof

it was a cap that came with the motor and esc from losi, its a combo, talked to LHS about all issues, they think the esc is bad a are offering to replace so we will see what happens on monday i guess..
Old 06-15-2008, 04:58 PM
accat131

I have had the misfortune of having my capacitor ejected from my losi xxx-cr with a xcelorin 4800kv...The capacitor bounced into the rear wheel and was ripped right off at the circuit board..I figured since the capacitor was damaged I might as well have a look inside that blue shrink tube that is wrapped around it and the small circuit board...It looks alot like the novak cap http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/p...power_caps.htm The main difference I can see is the losi circuit board has 4 surface mount capacitors instead of 3 on the novak.The odd thing I have noticed is my original capacitor is 6800mf 16v the replacement capacitor listed in the manual is 8200mf...I also thought the LOSB9370 (8200mf 16v cap) part listed in the manual would come with the small circuit board attached.It does not seem to I have only seen one pic of the capacitor on the net http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...9370&x=12&y=10
I'm wondering if this is an oversight by losi or a manufacturing change....I also have an email into customer support hoping for a response tomorrow.