Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mid Georgia Jet Rally

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mid Georgia Jet Rally

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM
dsiems
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid Georgia Jet Rally

Who's coming????????????????????? Americus, GA, Hodges Hobbies I arrived today and it is an amazing flying field, 150ft wide and approx. 1700ft long grass field.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Mid Georgia Jet Rally

dsiems,

I'm planning to come to Cullman, AL to visit friends this fall. How near is it to Pratville? 1700 feet is real big, my field is about 1000 feet and I thought it was big. Is the field there in Georgia smooth enough for jets? My field is long enough but not smooth enough for fighter jets only for large wheeled semi-scale jets.

Have fun![8D]

David
Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

To bad more folks didn't attend the Jet Rally at Mac's place. Great facility and excellent weather plus really nice folks to fly with.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Its funny, we were talking about jet flyins yesterday at our local jet field and it seems like the number of jet events in this part of the country is growing. That's good, to be sure, but for most of us who were talking about it, it seems that it hard to attend an event more than once every 4 weeks or so. Between having to recover from the drive, maintain your jets, spend time with the family, etc., that's about the limit.

I have no idea exactly why the attendance at this rally wasn't better, but some of it could be because its right in the middle of Kentucky Jets and Liberty Bell. I know that the attendees for those two events don't overlap completely, but it does some and I couldn't consider attending because I did Ky Jets and I'm going to Liberty Bell.

Another thing, of course, is advertizing. I'm not sure that this event was well publicized...

Bob
Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Bob, I think the word was out that the grass runway, while large, was a bit rough. That's what I heard from a few jet pilots that have been to the field and were familiar with it.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM
speedbrake

I think it is a shame the word got out that Mac's grass runway is not smooth. I guess people need to process what information they get. I can assure you that Mac's grass runway is extremely smooth. I doubt the scale jet guys would be enthusiastic about grass...but all sport jet models can handle Mac's field. If in doubt, go try it yourself. His field is open to everybody...just need to be an AMA member and have a waiver. We are going to try again next year because we feel the field is perfect for this kind of event. A huge landing area, almost unlimited parking, RV hookups, large shaded area for model assembly and storage, electrial outlets available, and a hobby shop on site make this an attractive venue. Mac routinely flies his giant B-29 at the field....if you've seen any pictures on the web you'll notice how smooth the surface is. Go try it yourself...you will be glad you did.

Cheers,
Keith Lindsay
Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM
JoelP
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having flown my jets at Mac's many times, I agree the grass is no factor. Very beautiful flying site with the absolute best hobby shop in the southeast!
I don't think the event was publicized very well...I only learned about it from this thread 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
speedbrake

Hey,
The second R-54 flies great. There is a difference between the two. I think the shorter wing has increased the wing loading and it flies a wee bit faster, especially on landing. The first landing was made without flaps; the plane landed fast but didn't float down the runway. The second landing was done with about 45 degrees of flaps...again it didn't float much at all. The most significant difference was in the landing gear...the struts are awesome. The wire gear is stiff and doesn't give much. The struts smooth out the irregularities of the landing surface....much, much smoother. Another big surprised was the steering. Because the nose struct and wheel is on center line, steering is noticably better.

More to come,
Keith
Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 AM
speedbrake

The Mid-Georgia Jet Rally will occur on Saturday and Sunday, 19/20 July, 2008. The host is Hodges Hobbies located near Americus, Georgia. For more details and directions go to: www.hodgeshobbies.com. BVM has donated some merchandise to be given to some lucky participants and there will be a raffle for a Jersey Modelers Fuel System. The venue is a gorgeous 1500 X 400 foot smooth grass runway. We will have a Low Country Boil dinner on Saturday night for those who wish enjoy a delicious southern meal. This is an AMA sanctioned event and turbine waivers are required. Landing fee is $10. There are no frequency, turbine, or noise restrictions. Come join us for a pleasant, enjoyable weekend in the heart of Georgia.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM
speedbrake

Dean,
Are you now flying a Cermark F-16? I have some questions if you are.

Keith