Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

chain saw motor instead?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

chain saw motor instead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
cat samich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain saw motor instead?

i was wondering if this motor would work for a REALLY LARGE boat like 70+"

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.ns...b?OpenDocument

i have this saw and it runs perfect but the bar studs are stripped out of it, so if it would be a good candidate for a boat i would love to use it.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Scott Schneider

Default RE: chain saw motor instead?

Worked as a commercial small engine mechanic in the logging era of the 80's & 90's .... seen LOTS of those saws along with later versions of the same basic design.

#1 issue is saw engines if using them with stock flywheel & Ignition rotate the WRONG direction for boat use.
#2 the pioneer crank shafts are REALLY long on the PTO / clutch side making them a real PITA to adapt a cable collet set up.

But other than that, the engine itself is a BEAST !!!! They made really good HP & killer torque, rpm range to @ 11K loaded.

Best of luck
Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM
mmurray70

ORIGINAL: Scott Schneider

Worked as a commercial small engine mechanic in the logging era of the 80's & 90's .... seen LOTS of those saws along with later versions of the same basic design.

#1 issue is saw engines if using them with stock flywheel & Ignition rotate the WRONG direction for boat use.
#2 the pioneer crank shafts are REALLY long on the PTO / clutch side making them a real PITA to adapt a cable collet set up.

But other than that, the engine itself is a BEAST !!!! They made really good HP & killer torque, rpm range to @ 11K loaded.

Best of luck
Was that the P50? I briefly thought about trying to adapt a smaller 1074 engine to my boat, but im more then happy with the performance from a my stihl trimmer engine that im using now. The 1074s were great saws in their day. Its a shame they didnt put a two needle carb on them. My father has a few that he still uses today.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 AM
cat samich

the engine rotation issue is an easy fix. im going to use a counter rotation i/o drive from mhz. i will put a prop on it designed for standard rotation and with the motor being backwards the counter rotation drive with standard prop should take care of it, unless im retarded and didnt think of some minor detail that makes my plan worthless. oh well
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Scott Schneider

Doing a gearbox so rotation is reversed ..... idea !!

In the day BOYSEN made fiber reeds for the block, Hot carb was the Tillotson SDC-80.