Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Top Contenders 1/10th Scale Electric Touring Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Southern Cross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Contenders 1/10th Scale Electric Touring Cars

I definitely agree...hell anyone would I imagine. Years ago I went to some racetrack (real cars) in PA. I saw guys with Honda Civics, and not the super modded rice rockets you see on TV...just little hopped up VTech, spank the bajeezus out of high-end race bred Bimmers...Porsches...hell some dude with a little Dodge Onni...yes...Dodge Omni...whip the piss out of a lightweight, tuned Ferrari...wish i had that on tape.

But for me...I have a problem when it comes to hobbies. I can't stand knowing there's something better out there than what I have. It really is stupid that I bought th TRF416...I should have bought TA05 or some other RTR rig. I just wanted a Tamiya...and I wanted the best one I could get. Same deal now trying to pick out the powertrain. Its killing me that the Sphere TC Spec doesn't have reverse...I know I'm going to end up getting something that has reverse that won't be as "good" as the LRP. Speaking of which...what do you guys think the top of the line ESC with reverse is...do they even make any race/comp version with reverse?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
dfiantii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to be racing alot of tracks do not allow reverse so why get a esc that has the option? I am heading in the direction of the Speed Passion Esc Gt v1.1. I am also going with the Losi JRXS Type R
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: Southern Cross

I definitely agree...hell anyone would I imagine. Years ago I went to some racetrack (real cars) in PA. I saw guys with Honda Civics, and not the super modded rice rockets you see on TV...just little hopped up VTech, spank the bajeezus out of high-end race bred Bimmers...Porsches...hell some dude with a little Dodge Onni...yes...Dodge Omni...whip the piss out of a lightweight, tuned Ferrari...wish i had that on tape.

But for me...I have a problem when it comes to hobbies. I can't stand knowing there's something better out there than what I have. It really is stupid that I bought th TRF416...I should have bought TA05 or some other RTR rig. I just wanted a Tamiya...and I wanted the best one I could get. Same deal now trying to pick out the powertrain. Its killing me that the Sphere TC Spec doesn't have reverse...I know I'm going to end up getting something that has reverse that won't be as "good" as the LRP. Speaking of which...what do you guys think the top of the line ESC with reverse is...do they even make any race/comp version with reverse?
I like the idea that I can beat the punk kids that show up with the $1000 worth of equipment that mommy bought them with my $150 tub chassis TA05. I've really only added front cvds and trf shocks. Know before some of you youngsters that buy your own stuff rip on me, I'm speaking on how things are at my track. Anyway, dont kick yourself in the butt because you bought a nice car. If I had the money I probably would have gotten a Evo V or TRF415. Just don't expect to win just because you spent more. The thing I'm learning the most about racing is that slow is fast. Learn to run a clean race even if it means running a little slower than you can go. I turn more laps and break less parts this way.
As for ESC's, I don't know if its the "best" but I like my Novak GTB. Its worked flawlessy so far. There are a lot of good escs out there. Depends on what you need and how much you want to spend. The GTB is one of the more expensive models. It does have reverse. Most high end ESCs either don't have reverse or you can turn reverse off. This is because reverse is not allowed in most race events.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Southern Cross

The GTB Spread Spectrum is what I will go with unless the LRP Sphere (not Comp or TC Spec) can handle 2s LiPos and has voltage cutoff for LiPos. If the Spehere has those two things I'm going to go with it since it has reverse and I wanted a Spehere to begin with. If it doesn't I'm going to go with the GTB since it looks to be the best reverse option aside from the Sphere. Do you know if the Sphere has those things?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:42 AM
mkoresh12

The sphere does not have reverse. It can take lipos. Most ESCs can, just not all have cutoffs which can be purchased relatively cheap. I've heard that the sphere is quite large as well. Don't know I haven't seen one in person.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Southern Cross

You sure about that. I checked their site and they show the Spehere having reverse...remember...not the Comp or the TC-Spec. Looks like I've got my setup...The LRP kit just looks too good with the blue of the Tamiya kit for me to pass up on. Slapping one of their cooling kits on the ESC and the motor and I should be good to go. Going LRP X11 7.5T for the motor...wanted 10.5 but they don't make one...next one up from that is stock. I'm going to through in a decent Futaba servo and I should be solid...this is going to be one helluva setup.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
bobcat7811

When racing top speed isnt all that important so the 50 MPH isnt going to help you. Handling is what you should focus on. When you buy a car you want a car that will handle and can be adjusted for handling. In most indoor racing anything more than stock is going to be too fast for most people and especially if you are new to running onroad. On tight tracks a stock motor/17.5 BL seems very fast especially when you add 6 to 10 cars on the track at one time. Large outside tracks may be a different story.

Go with the XRay T2 008. You can adjust most everything (diffs, roll center, ackerman, even shock pistons) without dissembling the whole car. I currently race the TC5 with success but the car is a little more inconvenient to adjust on than the Xray. My TC5 can and does hang with the Xrays but I believe I and you will be happier with the 008.

Now the TC5 for the price is by far the best bang for your buck. It comes with alot of the parts you will need for racing. You didnt mention if you were going to be carpet or pavement. If you are going carpet get the carpet version if you are going to be pavement get the pavement car. There is a big difference in the chassis. I started from the original kit and had to buy $100 worth of shims, hard parts, etc to get my set up just right. By the time I was done I could have purchased an Xray and the TC5 just isn't as nice of a car as the Xray in my opinion. That being said if you are running pavement the TC5 is an awesome car.

If you plan to run Lipo then you may look at the Losi because of the battery placement. You dont have to use as much ballast weight to balance the chassis left to right. Most cars have been designed for the heavier Nihms so more weight is required to balance the chassis on cars that have the battery mounted on one side or the other. Losi mounts theirs from the bottom directly in the middle of the car. However if you directly solder your batteries in then the Losi is sort of a pain to get to the tabs.

I dont know anything about the Tamiya TCs so cant help you there. I race in Whitehouse and Dallas Texas carpet tracks and the cars run there are mainly Xray, Shui, and TC5. I know of one Kyosho (doesnt handle to well but that may be operator error) and one Losi which they handle like they are on rails but seem to break easy (relatively speaking)(We all seem to think we should be able to hit the boards at 30 MPH and drive away which is alot to ask of plastice and composite parts).

Just my opinion. I would suggest you openly talk to the other racers....most I have met are very helpful.....especially when there is a prospect of a new racer joining in the fun. I would also suggest seeing what parts the LHS stocks. It stinks to have a car that the LHS doesnt stock parts for. That will mean you have to order and carry all your parts and if you happen to break something you dont have your day is done.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:59 PM
slrsmokey

Ok First of all dude you wont get 50mph right out of the box. Youll have to buy hop ups. And second this is a hobby so there is no better car. Its who can make and drive their car better. I have a Team Losi XXX-S. Its a nice little car. Im looking to get a 7500kv brushles motor esc combo for it. It should be a pretty quick little car. I HOPE. Heres a tip. Dont get something just because everyone else has one. Get something that appeals to you. I bought my XXX-S because I saw it hanging on the wall and I liked it. I knew nothing about RC cars then. I just liked it and I bought it. Youre not going to get a solid answer on wich cars better because everyone has their own oppinion on wich one is better. People are too competetive about this. Just get one and have fun. This is a HOBBY not a sport so just have fun with it. Experiment with different with different cars and se wich one you like best. Well you have a nice day.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:02 PM
adrictan

Team Magic is good but with it still not a mainstream brand, it's still difficult to find the parts for it.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
ElectricGuy007

I dunno if I have a top contender or not, but my Yokomo YR4-M2 chassis will be perfect for club carpet racing in the fall.
I didnt pay much for it, only 100 dollars used. It's in great racing shape for being a 10 year old car. It came with aluminum arms, but I assume
I'll be switching it later to plastic Arms.
The belts are still new looking like it wasnt used at all very much. People are iffy about these japan type shocks but I rebuilt them are
just fine for racing, I ran it back last month on an oval track for testing. I wanted a saddle design type touring car, well I think this is the only
one on the market I have seen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57449.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	978666