Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Glass Covering - advice please

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Glass Covering - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Blixsim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass Covering - advice please

Hi

I am looking to start experimenting with glass covering and painting. I have never glassed or painted a model before and would appreciate tips and tricks from other modellers' experiences. I have a few questions

1. what grade cloth should I use - I have heard that 1oz cloth is light yet strong. I have also heard that its better to use a heavier grade cloth as the tighter weave uses less epoxy which results in less weight with the added benefit of superior strength due to heavier cloth.

2. What size Model could be concidered as the minimum size suitable for glassing. Is it a good idea to glass wings.

3. For epoxy I want to dilute 50/50 with methanol as a 1st coat to get a good soak into the wood then neat as a 2nd coat. Is this ok.

Would appreciate any other tips and tricks that would result in good strength and finish without added weight

thanks
Hedley
Old 05-12-2003, 10:20 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glassing

Hedley,

If you use the seach you will find many topics on painting and glassing. There a bunch of stuff here.