Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Experience

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 05:47 PM
USNhornet846

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Experience

Hey all,

I was just curious as to how long all of you jet owners (DF or Turbine) flew before buying one and what kind of experience level you had before that. Im very interested in jet models and am interested in buying one some time in the future....but i know I'm not anywhere near experienced enough and it is different for every person. I want to be able to find a sort of average time spent or experience level in the hobby before you could safely say you were good enough to fly one well so i can be able to know when im ready.

Thanks in advance for any contributions
Old 05-12-2003, 06:55 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jet Experience

I taught myself to fly. Took 10 airplanes or so before I figured out how to land, set a carburetor, get ailerons all set right etc. Then I found out I could join a club! Within six months I had gone from the small stuff to 33% and everything in between. At one point I had over 50 aircraft and 40 of them add gas and fly. Then I bought my F-15 Ducted Fan. I flew around 30 to 50 flights on the F-15, or at least that's what I say. It could have been more like 15 or 20. I don't know. However, I only ran it off the runway a few times and I never crashed it. I knew when I saw a turbine for the first time that to me it was the top of the food chain and I wanted to be there. About 19 months after I started with a three channel electric plane I solo'd a Kangaroo with a RAM 1000 (that was three weeks ago). I spent roughly 20 Grand getting to that point. The incredible sensation I felt when that engine and plane roared past me down the runway 20 feet off the deck made the road well worth the travel. My second Turbine Jet is in production right now. At one point I had over 50 airplanes in my garage/house. I now have less than 10. I've heard some guys on here getting into jets after 20 or 30 years in the hobby. What that tells me is a couple of things. Some people just have the skill to do it. Some people just have the money to do it and little skill. Some people have building skill (I'm not one of them). It takes a lot of guts to send a several thousand dollar airframe down the runway and off into the sky. If you want to do it, there are DF trainers out there, don’t be scared of it. Just ask questions, post them here, people will answer them! Take a digital picture, post it, ask if it’s right. Go to your local field, ask several people for their opinion and then make up your own mind based on what you are hearing. But if it’s your passion, don’t let anyone stop you. Don’t say you’re not anywhere near experienced. When I flew the F-15, I had no idea what was going to happen. I just went for it! But do yourself a favor on first flight, have a really good accomplished pilot standing next to you coaching you through everything. And use the best equipment you can afford. Even if you have to start out small, the skill you’ll gain on an aircraft that works really well, will help you on future projects. Good Luck, Sean
Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Cowdog
My Feedback: (13)

Default Jet Experience

Navy,

I'm sure you will get lots of different opinions but here's my take. After you're comfortable with a fast sport plane (ie like a Ultra sport 60, fast warbird etc), get some pattern experience on pattern and some quickie 500 planes (or other very fast prop experience). The pattern will help you get used to all of the control inputs you need to have for all attitudes of flight (vertical, inverted, spins, push and pulls). These will really help you in your decisions on what controls to input for your future df/turbine. Quickie type airplanes are very helpful for getting used to the rapid reaction times that are "sometimes" necessary when flying a jet. I have very rarely ever had to use the massive elevator pulls or roll rates in my jet flying but the Quickie 500 planes get you used to the speed.

After that, I'd suggest getting a D/F if money is an issue at all. You can probably find a Ready to Fly DF around here for less than $1500 or build your own for about the same amount. Learn about retracts, air lines, brakes, etc. It's usually much cheaper to learn on (and tear up) a ducted fan than a turbine. Nearly all the ducted fans I've crashed have had salvagable engines, radio gear, retracts etc. Of the turbine crashes I've personnaly witnessed, the "salavagablity" is usually seems to be a little lower due to fire or higher speeds.

ABOVE ALL, talk to people about what they use, building techniques, kits suggestions etc. I first saw jets at the 8th Annual Greater Southwest. Talked to a bunch of people, saw what flew and what didn't. Then bought an old Regal Eagle that 1/2 a dozen guys learned to fly on in Lubbock and then moved on to bigger and better things.

Good luck

Hank
Old 05-12-2003, 08:29 PM
USNhornet846

Default Jet Experience

Thanks for the advice. I've been told to invest in the radio equipment and based on what sean said..it is the right thing to do. I'm currently perfecting my skills on a Joss Stick with a Super Tigre G90. I just recently got it back into the air due to the infamous super tigre carburetor problems Based on the help i've got here I've got to practice patterns and have some experience with speed after this. And yes......I'll make sure I ask the people at my field. Theres a jet show coming next weekend that I will be attending....should be a good place for some info Thanks again.