Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

How to reduce chine-walking??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

How to reduce chine-walking??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
SeanCWH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reduce chine-walking??

My RIO 51 seems to chine walk quite a bit when flat out (about 48 mph). Are there any rules of thumb as to how to reduce this - apart from slowing down of course!! Might raising the drive while lowering the tabs a bit help?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to reduce chine-walking??

If you boat is going 48mph chine walking might be something you just have to put up with ,that said my stepped vee did it quite badly with one prop at full speed but after i changed props she got a little better.A Rio thats doing 48 mph is pretty fast maybe someone else can let you know how theres reacts at those speeds but im thinking its something you might have to put up with.
Mart
Old 07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try bending the INSIDE corner (closest to the keel) of the starboard trim tab DOWN about 1/8",(use pliers) the loss of speed due to the induced drag,will be negligable,and will do more to compensate your speed/stability (than bending the whole tab) at WOT..... [8D]
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
mauian

try making sure your trim tabs are all level with the bottom of the hull, meaning they are in the neutral position. Your rudder should be straight up and down. Turns fins should have the bottom of the turn fins level with the bottom of the hull. So everything is straight up and down. Make sure your strut is also level with the bottom of the hull. From after doing all this run it and see if anything needs to adjusted, usually just your strut(stinger). Using a staight edge ruler like the wooden ones from your kids work best to get everything done.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Scott Schneider

VERY SHARP & THIN BLADES will cut down on prop walk more than anything else you can do !!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 AM
martno1fan

Never saw prop walk mentioned i think he said chine walk which i take as the boat rolling side to side at speed prop walk is just the boat veering to the right instead of running straight so to clear things up which is it you have chine walk or prop walk?.
Mart
Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 AM
SeanCWH

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Never saw prop walk mentioned i think he said chine walk which i take as the boat rolling side to side at speed prop walk is just the boat veering to the right instead of running straight so to clear things up which is it you have chine walk or prop walk?.
Mart
Correct. Problem is chine walk and not prop walk. It's the side-to-side rolling when under max speed in even a slight chop - if it is FLAT calm there is a lot less. I'm running a sharpened & polished Prop Shop 6717 and the boat runs perfectly straight.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 AM
SeanCWH

ORIGINAL: mauian

try making sure your trim tabs are all level with the bottom of the hull, meaning they are in the neutral position. Your rudder should be straight up and down. Turns fins should have the bottom of the turn fins level with the bottom of the hull. So everything is straight up and down. Make sure your strut is also level with the bottom of the hull. From after doing all this run it and see if anything needs to adjusted, usually just your strut(stinger). Using a staight edge ruler like the wooden ones from your kids work best to get everything done.
About the turn fins, when you say level with bottom of hull, you don't mean the keel and not the actual bottom edge of the transom right?

On your RIO, you run with neutral tabs?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM
martno1fan

Your fins need to be set as mine are in this pic,as for your prop who sharpened and balanced it? i have the same prop that was done by dasboata on my hydro i also tried it on my stepped vee.Its an awesome prop,the reason i asked who worked on it is they only come butterknife sharp from propshop and not balanced properly at all.
Mart
ps when your boats running at speed your fins should only touch water when you turn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55311.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	982650  
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
SeanCWH

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Your fins need to be set as mine are in this pic,as for your prop who sharpened and balanced it? i have the same prop that was done by dasboata on my hydro i also tried it on my stepped vee.Its an awesome prop,the reason i asked who worked on it is they only come butterknife sharp from propshop and not balanced properly at all.
Mart
ps when your boats running at speed your fins should only touch water when you turn.
I got the prop from Maston's Marine and they did the sharpening and balancing (forgot who I actually spoke to). I didn't mention it but it's a 3-blader and seems well balanced and is sharp.

In the pic, those turn fins don't touch water when the boat's running straight? I guess it's the angle of the pic but they appear to be deeper into the water than I thought they should be.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
dwr9

Chine walk is often caused by too much of the boat being out of the water. Raising your drive should allow the boat to settle into the water more and may help the chine walk, however you may lose a little speed also due to greater wetted surface. You can also experiment with different props. Doug
Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
martno1fan

Turn fins should only touch water in turns when the boats moving fast,these work well she turns great runs good too for a weedy motor.I dont use turn fins on my stepped vee and she runs great turns on a dime too,as Doug says settling the hull in the water more will help,did you know that prop is designed for hydros so will create lift which will induce chine walk unless it has rounded tips?,I have same prop on the rockett hydro..Maybe try a non lifting prop.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77628.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	982682  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Dave ESPI

I'm still fairly new to this whole boating thing, but from I know as problems and ride issues, I can second the comment by Martnofan about the prop causing toomuch "lift". You may want to double check to see if your boat is set up with a Hydro-boat gear rather than a deep V prop.

Also, with my WHH ENFORCER, I get a tiny bit of walk, but usualy its caused by sloshing gas in my tank, and the rudder servo moving a tiny bit with torque on the servo horn, but I changed the plastic servo horn to a metal one, and now I don't get any slop in the linkage.