Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

2.4GHZ QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM
MeanMustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4GHZ QUESTION

I am considering a 2.4G entry level radio to save on the hassle of frequency checks etc. I read somewhere in this forum that you need a direct line of sight for it to work. Is this true? Does this mean that you can't navigate around large objects or failsafe kicks in? I'm asking because besides the track (where you got a direct line of sight), I do play around on the streets and parking lots, and sometimes that line of sight is broken by a parked car.

Also, which is a good entry 2.4 in terms of features, range, and trouble-free operation - Futaba 3PM, Airtronics MX3 or KO Propo EX1? I'm leaning towards the 3PM because its frequency hopping and I read something about military technology.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Thunderbird93

Default RE: 2.4GHZ QUESTION

I don't have any problems when I go behind a parked car and can't see my buggy. It might depend on how far away you are also. I have the MX-3 and right now I hate it because I keep losing the signal like it's an AM radio and the extra receivers are close to $100 for another vehicle.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
systemlord

When I say line of sight I mean going behind huge buildings made of steel and concrete at a loooong distance. Going behind a car, house no problem for 2.4GHz radio's. The best budget 2.4GHz radio is the Futaba 3PM ($189.99 at TowerHobbies) using Futaba's Spread Spectrum FASST system!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM
MeanMustang

Seems that several of you out there are having problems with the MX-3. Thanks for the input, I'm more or less certain that I'll be going for the 3PM. I was quite impressed with the Futaba's functions after downloading their manual plus I've never had any complaints with all my previous futabas.

Been away from this hobby for a while and must say a lot has changed... BTW, are there any known glitching problems with using the 3PM with a brushless combination?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
jtfile

I am getting ready to buy my first 2.4ghz system. I am going with the Futaba 3PM. My question is, once I buy the system,and the I want to run multiple cars with the same transmitter, will I only need a receiver and servos for each additional car?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: jtfile

I am getting ready to buy my first 2.4ghz system. I am going with the Futaba 3PM. My question is, once I buy the system,and the I want to run multiple cars with the same transmitter, will I only need a receiver and servos for each additional car?
You got it, its about $100.00 dollars for an additional receiver. The same company responsible for military grade RC radio's for there small compact airplanes with video cameras on board makes Futaba's Spread Spectrum 2.4GHz technology. Futaba has always been considered #1 of RC radio's, its no surprise that they still hold (over 20 years) that quality they have always strived for!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
MeanMustang

Does the 3PM come with the NiCd (NT8F700B) that's mentioned in the manual or is it an optional item? Also, are there compatible higher capacity TX batteries that will fit this such as the NiMh one that comes with 4PK?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: MeanMustang

Does the 3PM come with the NiCd (NT8F700B) that's mentioned in the manual or is it an optional item? Also, are there compatible higher capacity TX batteries that will fit this such as the NiMh one that comes with 4PK?
If you want you can put a lithium battery (2500mAh 11.1V) in there if you want to, there a place that makes a lithium battery just for the 3PKS/4PK radio. I can't remember where though, I'm pretty (97%) sure the 4PK uses the same battery that the 3PKS uses.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:08 PM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: systemlord

ORIGINAL: MeanMustang

If you want you can put a lithium battery (2500mAh 11.1V) in there if you want to, there a place that makes a lithium battery just for the 3PKS/4PK radio. I can't remember where though, I'm pretty (97%) sure the 4PK uses the same battery that the 3PKS uses.
You're 97% wrong, the 4PK uses a 4 cell NIMH, the 3PK/S uses a 8 cell AA flat pack.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
MeanMustang

Fellas, I'm asking about the entry level 3PM. I'm quite sure the thing doesn't come with a battery pack as it has a battery box for 8 AAs. But the manual (which I found online on Futaba's site) mentions a charging jack and the NT8F700B battery so it must have some connectors in there to take an aftermarket rechargeable Tx batt, right?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:24 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline
You're 97% wrong, the 4PK uses a 4 cell NIMH, the 3PK/S uses a 8 cell AA flat pack.
Are you sure the 4PK uses a 4 cell battery? You should wait till you are sober before making yourself look... As far as if the 3PM coming with a battery box vs an actual 8 cell rechargable battery, I'm not sure.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
dacaur

The 3pm just comes with a dry cell battery box, no rechargeable included... you can use rechargeable AA's and charge them through the charge jack though,...

as for line of sight.. ridiculous! my 2.4ghz router sends signals through walls and floors.... Just like I can use my futaba 3pm to control my truck in another room if I want... (though I do bump into stuff a lot doing that ) It (futaba 3pm fasst) is definitely the best car radio I have used... as for the airtronics MX-3... I cant understand why people buy them in the first place... as far as features go, it has only 4 real features, expo, dual rate, epa, and sub trim... no programable channel mixing, no timers, no throttle acceleration, etc etc etc... basically, there are analog radios that are better than a MX-3....
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
joydude630

Mean Mustang - If I were you, I would have gone for the Futaba 3PM 3-Channel 2.4GHz FASST Radio System. Its a quality product. If you ever want to upgrade later you can always go for the Futaba 3PK, 4PK or DX3 Spectrum.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM
CBM Racing

I have seen lots of issues in these and other forums about problems with all the 2.4g radios, the spektrums and airtronics being the worst. In real life, I have seen a properly set up spektrum dx3 lose control and failsafe not work probably 10 times. Maybe a better bet would be to use a synthesized fm radio? I use a jrxs3 and I have 30 channels to pick at the turn of a dial, with more real features than many cheaper spread spectrum radios costing much more. I like the idea of no channel checking and all that, but I like proven reliability and real race features more. Just an option to consider. Also the rx if you need extras are like 30$ cheaper.