Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New pipe suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 AM
jnoetzelmann
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pipe suggestions

So what new pipe would you guys suggest for the Savage X? I'm having the same engine leaning out issues with the stock pipe. I'm running the Axial .28 and I'm happy with it.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New pipe suggestions

The stock pipe is plastic right? The Axial .28 I had liked the XSS aluminum pipe.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 AM
jnoetzelmann

I bought the SS kit which came with an HPI polished aluminum pipe. Both the stock engine and the Axial engine start running lean around 1/2 tank. I checked for leaks, none found so I figure the pipe isn't delivering quite enough pressure...
Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's normal half-tank lean.., a perennial Savage problem.. The HPI polished pipe is perfect for the Axial... A pipe change won't fix HTL as far as I know.. I just run with slightly rich settings.., and richen further if I have to towards the end of the tank..
Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Clymer122693

A member awhile back came up with the idea of shortening the lines as much as possilble to cure the half tank lean issues. I have done this and it dramatically reduced the half tank lean as much as where I dont really notice it. And even tho the lines are shorter espcially the fuel line,it runs longer because its not running rich the hole time to minimize the half tank lean.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
BudBud

You can help that half tank lean a lot by turning your carb fuel nipple so it points between the air filter neck and the engine. Now make the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor as short as you can. It will not totally cure it, but it will definitely help!

I would recommend a manifold and performance pipe like a Dynamite 053 or 086 and a Tsais header. If you are going to spend money on exhaust, you might as well spend it leaning towards a performance engine next time. Bud
Old 09-01-2008, 12:59 AM
jnoetzelmann

Yep that's what I did today at the track but ended up going as much as a quarter turn to the rich side which only helped for a couple laps. After those laps I check the temp and yikes 300 deg. Those laps were made with the body off too.

I'm used to using up a whole tank of fuel with temps averaging 260-280 the whole time ya know!? Never 300 or more. What's that doing to my piston and liner? Hurts to think about it.

Thanks for the info...
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank HPI for the leanout. They insist on using the stepped fuel tank-which is the root of the problem. Each time they revise the Savage, I always hope for a new fuel tank design. HPI, what's up?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 AM
jnoetzelmann

BUD BUD- what type of performance engine would you suggest?

O.S., LRP, Picco?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 AM
BudBud

Well, you are talking to a Picco addict. I have at least a dozen P3 26s and 28s together.

To be really fair though, I think we need to look at the buyer's needs. The Picco requires a little extra attention, to get set up initially. Once you get it all sealed up and dialed in, there is very little adjustment required. I really like the long life and performance.

For the guy that wants an easy step up in performance, the LRP is tough to beat. It is a S&H design and makes great low end power. I found mine very easy to start and tune. I am running it in an XL chassis with Terra Pins and it does a great job.

I did not realize that S&H and LRP were the same, which brings us to a great little power house, the Sport Werks 26. It is also a S&H design, known as many other brands with good reputation. AMain has been selling them for 109 dollars.

I like the leaky front bearing, lower rpm Axial 32 too, it has carb issues, leaky backing plate issues, but it makes a lot of low end torque. I do not mind sealing it up or replacing a bearing, my main gripe is that for the same money you can buy an LRP. Better yet, for another 20 or 30 dollars you can buy a Picco and run it until you are sick of looking at it, which has not happened for me yet, but I have yet to kill one too.

We are all different and have different trucks and tuning skills. One of my Piccos has been tested, I got it really hot with a bad throttle servo that went wide open. It sat against a fence smoking the tires and clutches until I got over there to shut it down. It was well over 300 and I was pretty worried about it, needlessly. The same engine had a three speed behind it and I had it zinging for top end, the final drive gear exploded and that Picco sounded like it turned twice as tight as it ever had before, it was screaming. Of course, it would be over 100 yards away and by the time I heard it and reacted, it had plenty of time to get ripping. Again, I fixed the truck, fired it up and all is well.

We have a bunch of great high rpm and torquey engines right now, I would stay away from STS, they can make super power, but their quality has plummeted recently. That and their parts supply line sucks at best. Get ten guys together and you might get ten answers.... kind of like the Chevy-Ford-Chrysler wars.

This new Hpi .36 or 5.9 is a blast to play with, we have 28s that can run with it or outrun it, but it definitely is a horse. Bud
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 AM
jnoetzelmann

So a Picco .28 runs about $200.00? Do you have any experience with GRP? Another Italian mill dist. by Horizon Hobby. They're pretty expensive- the .28 truggy is $399.99.

I like a powerful and reliable engine that can take some abuse but doesn't need alot of attention. I personally don't see a need to put anything bigger than a .30 in my truck, that's enough power for me. I'm more of a casual racer.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:24 AM
BudBud

None with GRP, I know that NovaRossi makes a very nice seven or eight port engine for another 100 dollars over the Picco. It is supposed to be a real power house, but for that kind of money we can get one of [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th7Gia-yRWA&feature=user]these done[/link] and I doubt the Nova Rossi will touch it. Another video of the same [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtyvtKNPLmc&feature=user]engine.[/link] He races Piccos and modifies them all the time, pretty impressive. Bud