Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Props and Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props and Stuff

Gas engines are new to me and I've not had much experience in proper prop selection, pitch, etc.

I was running a 16x8 on a Zenoah G23 but realize that this won't do on my next gasser, a US Engines 41cc.

The 41cc is replacing the Zenoah on my Midwest Super Stinker. The 23 got it off the ground, (barely) did fly the plane,(barely) and got it back down,(thankfully).

The 41 is a full 16oz heavier than the Zenoah so my original tail heavy scenario will be remedied with the engine swap. Did I mention full down elevator deflection to get the thing to land???

So...other than that 16x8, what say you on prop selection for the 41cc? I've been told a 10 pitch minimum but diameter wasn't offered.

Here's that shot of air under her wheels with the Zenoah...

PM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59057.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1030491  
Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Props and Stuff

You'll be looking at around 18x10 to 20x8. Pick up 2 or 3 from different brands and try them out.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Props and Stuff

Agreed. My US 41 was always very happy with a 20x8Xoar. I also had good luck with an 18x10 but I liked the climb out better with the 20". I have used a 20x10 and it ran well but didn't get the top end out of her so that negated the positive effects of the higher pitch plus I lost my good climbing ability.

Brianâ™*