Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Xtreme 4000kv vs. Esky 3800kv motor?

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Xtreme 4000kv vs. Esky 3800kv motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 PM
high flyer 777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme 4000kv vs. Esky 3800kv motor?

What's a better motor for the HBK2 between the Xtreme 4000 & the Esky 3800?
Opinions? Experiences between the two motors?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 PM
stump3r

Default RE: Xtreme 4000kv vs. Esky 3800kv motor?

I haven't tried the new Xtreme, however the 3800 is a nice motor. I've been flying it in mine and have abused the hell out of it. She keeps purring along. Great motor.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 AM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Ditto... Don't know anything about the Xtreme motor but the 3800 seems to be a great lil motor... Lots of power for what you need

happy fly'n
Old 09-05-2008, 10:32 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

I don't like the noisy/high wear pinions you have to use with these motors. A 3500-3600kv motor will let you use a 12-13t pinion.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 AM
funflier

if you lube your main gear with something like Triflow ( the non oil base kind) it will reduce the wear/noise considerably. Also I don't know what kind of pinion you are useing but if its a say Align pinion you have to make sure your not running on the tapered part of it at all , same with a few others that have a lot of taper. I have had a 3900 motor and a brass 10t for about 8 mo and it still runs quiet and smooth. Most motor pinion failures are due to not being aligned properly (too tight too loose or not running square or even not running on the correct part of the pinion or just dirty).
Also you may want to switch to a b400 main gear (get the one with the bearing installed, saves the work and only like 9$ total) as it is more sturdy then the stock main and flexs less hence quieter and longer lasting.
I was just given a Zoom Pow 3500 from CNCH heli by Zimatosa to try with a 11t pinion and it was a real pain getting the long Align pinion to fit my main gear correctly. So far it is not much better then my old 3900 more power but barely and it "cooks" my batteries.
I even moved my pitch/ throttle curves and still runs my batteries hot. I may just go back to my 3900 or a Hyperan or the 3800.
Waiting for Zimatosa to let me know what he thinks of my 3900 in his heli. (we switched motors for comparisons)
Bang for the buck and used with a Extreme Frame stiffener its hard to beat the esky 3800 with a 11t pinion with any blade combo as far as good all around performance. It's easy on batteries and is pretty much a bolt in with the frame stiffener ( this is a must just so you dont brake the frame behind the motor on a hard "landing".
You want shear power go for the stock Trex motor try the 3800 Trex 2215-450 and run it only with a 3S battery pack, weight is about 65 grams and will leave skid marks in the air on lift off. [X(]
Ok kidding but close to it, I saw one in a Kingll and it was unbeliveable, kinda scary as it has so much power its really a handfull and stress the heck out of a already marginally airframe. You can pick them up on Ebay for about 25$ includes shipping.
The Extreme motor is a Sonics (notice the fan that you will have to remove as it hits the elev servo arm on most installations) Extremely high head speed not to be used with wooden blades as it needs to run about 12t gear (someone had a post on it in here) not much power at lower speeds so it needed to wound up to run well. Headspeed was nearly 3000 rpm computed. Much to high for general flying and way to high for wooden blades. Also due to its power drain you will need a really decent 30-40A ESC and batteries that can handel the drain (15C is not going to hack it).
Old 09-07-2008, 06:22 AM
eaterofdog

I am running a Suppo-type 3500kv [link=http://www.swanghobby.com/product.php?productid=86&cat=5&page=1]Swang Has Them[/link] with a 12t Rhino pinion. I stopped using wax lube when I went to the 12t. There's no need, it's dead quiet and there is very little wear. The Suppo cranks out about 225 watts continuous, so it's got some juice. A nice, cheap and powerful motor if anyone want to look at it. I suggest getting a CY Model frame stiffener, it moves the motor up out of the bowl, so no mods are needed.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM
funflier

I've noticed that the alloy gears run much quieter then the brass ones, which is the exact opposite of what it would seem. The softer brass should run quieter. I think it is due to the alloy gears being better machined to a closer tolerance (especially the Rino brand gears) then the brass ones.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 AM
funflier

Swang motors, I saw them on EBay but kept away from them due to not getting correct info from the company in Hong Kong.
They spec their motors as having a 3mm shaft. Some motors DO have a 3mm ouput shaft but not many that are used for Heli that I have seen. Problem arrises as many have a 3mm shaft INSIDE the motor but either neck it up or down to become a 2.3 shaft or 3.17 as the case may be. So I asked them if that was a typo and if it really had a 3.17 output shaft as most pinion gears were for 3.17 shafts. I was told that "Yes, motor has 3mm shaft not 3.17. 3.17 gear fit ok too"
Well either they thought I was another stupid American or they totally misunderstood the question as you can't put a pinion for a 3.17 on a 3mm shaft and expect it to run true. So, I didn't buy the motor, think it was about 8$ US on Ebay and 3$ shipping at the time. But I would have no use for a motor with a 3mm output shaft. At the time they actually showed a "draft drawing" of the motor and showed the shaft as being a 3mm output shaft.
I don't remember what the wattage is on the 3900, around 165 watts I think. On the 3800 it's 220 watts. E x I = 220 watts max E=11.1 volts and I= 20 amps max current.
So what size is driving end of the shaft on the motor??
Old 09-16-2008, 05:42 PM
eaterofdog

They are all listed as being 3mm, but I think this is because they all cut and pasted it from the same place. The three I bought all have 3.17 shafts and they specifically said 3mm on the page.

Also, it's wax: http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Dry_Lubricant/dry.html
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
funflier

Thanks for the info on the motor shafts. I may go for one in that case, certainly hard to beat that price.
On the Triflow...I be darned does have paraffin wax in it.
Bike shop owner told me it was a non petroleum based lubricant and contained teflon (now that I look close it does say it is formulated with PTFE). I even told him I didn't want anything with a petroleum base or wax in it.
Not happy with him at all now, anything to make a sale I guess. [>:]
Can say it sure runs smooth though
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 PM
eaterofdog

Sure thing FF. I got the last two here for cheap:

http://www.swanghobby.com/product.ph...6&cat=5&page=1

I'd like to try a higher amp lipo with the suppo. It's got a lot more power than I'm getting from it.