Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Homemade glow starters and things

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 11:42 PM
liger0xzoids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade glow starters and things

Howdoodily,

I run an RC10GT with a fantom 12 engine. I need to know two things. One: is it possible to get 2 speed transmission (I don't really care, but a thought). Two: can i make a homemade glow starter using a metal tube, a 9 volt battery, and two wires? I have a hobby train power box, but that has an overload sensor, plus, it is a wall plug-in. Please help me! I want to race the truck I just got for my birthday (I'm 15).

Thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 01:49 AM
spadworld

No you cannot use a 9 volt battery for a glow starter. a C size Battery will do just fine.

Can you make your own using a C size battery probibly. Is it worth the hassle Probibly not.

In a pinch I took a D cell 1.5Volt battery and two wires with aligator clips along with tape to fire one up. It works but isn't easy to use. One clip to the engine casing one to the TINY pole sticking up from the glow plug. Then make sure teh wires are TAPED TIGHLY to the battery and start yanking!
Old 05-24-2003, 01:53 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

yeah pretty soon you'll be saying to yourself....eh $400 for a kitisnt that bad.

everyone starts out trying to do this as cheap as possible, but then end up paying mucho deniero for this hobby. a glow charger is only like $10 so save yourself the trouble and atleast "buy" that.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:56 AM
liger0xzoids

I'll probably buy one, but I just need a temp.