Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 AM
bonkas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Oil

Ok so my viper has started leaking oil all over the place from my engine somewhere.

Oil has sprayed over my chassis around my flywheel so it has obvouslt got onto the flywheel from somewhere.

It also all over the exhaust and manifold.

All over my pull start.

Also all around the carb and block of the engine.

it's pretty much everywhere.

I have test my fuel lines and there are no leaks, Also when running my car there are lots and lots of bubbles in the line which I hadnt noticed before.

Maybe a carb issue?

Where should I start looking for the leaks and how to find them?

I have neve taken the carb off before so If I need to I may need a little help.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaking Oil

if its all over like that i would say check the head first, make sure the cooling head is on tight. How are your temps?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Redharris

Bonkas....
Check the Exhaust Manifold Gasket. The screws holding the manifold to the Engine can vibrate loose.
Doesn't take much; just a Little loose and the Gasket will burn and fuel will Spew over Everything!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 PM
kuppler

Bonkas,
Also check the zip ties that hold the exhaust on to the header.... the plastic connector....... there might be a hole or the zip ties are lose....
Old 09-27-2008, 05:08 PM
bonkas

Just checked all those things.

Re tightened the head.

Had to replace the pipe from manifold to exhaust because it had a hole in it, did zip tied up nice and tight.

My temps seem OK but my engine is running very very rich for some reason, maybe adding the fuel filter it now needs retuning.

I also have fule on my exhaust which seems to have run off one of the fuel lines but I checked all that for leaks and there isnt any.

I'm stumped on this one.

Also the air in the fuel line worries me.. I can only idle it around because if I give it any throttle it just chokes and dies.

I'll try and post up some pictures (I havent cleaned it yet cause i'm lazy)
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Swamp3r

You checked for a leak in your fuel tank? If you replaced and fixed the coupler on the exhaust then I'd say fuel tank has a crack check your fittings and do a blow test
Old 09-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Redharris

Bonkas...

O.K. Lets recap the situation.
Its running Rich (or Seems to be?) which is Odd if there is an air leak. Air leaks usually cause an engine to run Lean....
You found the exhaust coupler had a hole, (leaking). You fixed that...
You tightened all your Engine related screws (exhaust, head Gasket ,,,how about the Screw that holds on the carb?)
Also, there is a rubber O-ring on the outside of the carburetor throat that seals the carb into the engine block. Check that...
You also need to check the Back Plate screws and Gasket, (they are Behind the pullstart mechanism).
Replace the Fuel Line. It is Cheap.....
Check the Gas Tank!!! There is a VERY good chance its causing the problem< (like Eddie says!)>(MY gas tank went bad on my MXT-2S at the Cap Seal).

You mention the truck is Very Dirty....
Clean it off, and let it Dry. That should make it pretty easy to Spot where it is Spewing gas.
Your Air filter is NOT caked/clogged with Dirt, is it? That could cause this sort of problem. (At least it would run VERY rich.)

You mentioned installing a Fuel filter? I always remove MY fuel filter when trouble shooting a problem like this on MY trucks, because it removes a possible problem/variable. It might be clogged or leaking. You can easily reinstall it after you solve the Problem.

Also, if gas got into the Clutch assembly, you will need to take it apart and clean it out, or the clutch will slip and burn up. At that point , you might Eyeball the front engine bearing and try to determine if THAT is where it is leaking from.

About the only things left at THAT point are the O-rings on the HSN and LSN. If the needles are VERY easy to turn, then the o-rings are worn out. (That happened to Me...)

Last but not least, Engine Compression. If your piston /sleeve is shot, then it would just pass gas into the exhaust. But it was running fine before all this happened? So,my Guess is that is probably not the problem...

Good Luck.
Keep us informed.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 PM
bonkas

Ok still leaking gas.

Things I have tried so far.

Retightened Head - cant see anywhere it could have been leaking from the head as it's pretty clean.

Checked for air leaks in fuel like and tank - None

HSN and LSN seem to be fine.

Exhaust manifold tight and sealed.

Exhaust tube tight and sealed.

Still loads of bubbles in fuel line without filter.

Cant see any oil around the clutch or that area but cant rule that out yet.

There is a bolt that goes through the carb with a nut on the end.. Is this what I should tighten?

Also further observations - My air filter is also covered in the stuff and so were my fuel lines. There is soo much there that is looks like my engine has just had water poured on it.

Things yet to check:

Engine Back Plate.
Front of engine

Getting pretty late here to pull the engine out so will have a look at that tomorrow, I always worry about the meshing of the gears so still not keen on that.

Thanks for help guys, will keep you informed.

I'm sure I may have missed something so let me know.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
bonkas

Ok So I pulled my engine out.

Tightened the backplate, retightened the head, also took exhaust off and retightened that manifold (Didnt make another gasket, old one still looked OK)

Cleaned the engine the best I could.

Pulled my clutch apart - no fuel in there - dry as a bone!

Stripped one of the engine mount screws trying to get it out so will need to get some more screws before I put my engine back in.

Didnt feel like there was any locktite on the backplate screws so I left it as is and just tightened them, same with the head screws.

Will run it tomorrow and let you guys know how it went.