Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Canard angle in Jas-39 Gripen

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Canard angle in Jas-39 Gripen

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Canard angle in Jas-39 Gripen

Hello guys,

A buddy of mine is flying a JetLegend JAS-39 Gripen.

On the gripen, the canards come with a built in angle into their shaft that holds them. this means they could be installed in either an anhedral or dihedral angle.

Anyway, since there was no manual with the model - he installed them in an anhedral position and this is how it was flying until now. Note: model flys fine, but it does have a slight instability on the roll axis, which we contributed to the rather short wing span.

He found lately that the original full scale gripen uses dihedral angle in the canards, and changed his over as well.

My question is - what kind of change in flight characteristics could we anticipate when going from anhedral to dihedral on the canards ?

thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (5)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Canard angle in Jas-39 Gripen

The Gripen does tend to rock back and forth a bit in roll (just like the F-16 "hunts" in yaw). I would doubt that you will notice any difference with the flipped canards though, if I recall all those subsonic aerodynamics courses accurately, in theory you should get slightly better high AOA performance with them corrected.

Feel free to check out and post to the Gripen Builders/Owners thread. We're trying to keep all the info in one place so it's easy to find (particularly for the builders).

Regards,

Jim
Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Where is that thread ?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (5)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Where is that thread ?
JAS-39 Gripen Owners/Build thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7900053/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7900053/tm.htm[/link]

Regards,

Jim