Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Small gas motor hunt

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 09:25 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small gas motor hunt

Hi all,

My friend is putting together a 73" plane of mine and brought up the idea about using a gas motor on it. It looks like it could come in under 11 pounds with a little gasser. I have recently been bumped from the Yahoo groups lists (says my emails are being returned?) so I am asking here (and was going to anyway).

Here's what I am asking for:

YOUR EXPERIENCE with a particular motor UNDER 50CC! Not what you've seen and especially NOT what you've heard. I need to know first hand experiences. The more detailed the better.

Motor weights with plugs, prop bolts and ignition. Don't need prop, battery or muffler cause of all the different types used.

You can reply here or email me at: [email protected]

Thanks,
Jason
Old 05-26-2003, 10:49 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the small side are the RCS 1.40 and MVVS 1.60. I have both engines, and posted a *bunch* of info on these two a while ago. Props tries, RPM ranges, weights of bare engines & ignition modules only.

Here's the link : http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...51&forumid=145

I also have a couple of 40cc gassers - an FPE 2.4 and a pair of ZDZ 40 RVs. I haven't run any of these, though, so 'll defer to the experiences of others..
Old 05-27-2003, 01:33 AM
JimRoss

Default Gas engine

I have a 73 5/8" Sig Extra 300XS with a Zenoah G-38 on it and it is heavy as all get out. Hard to get it balanced because of the short tail moment, heavy motor, and it has limited vertical performance. Other than that I love to fly it. Goes like a bat out of you know where.

Check out the ZDZ engines.... pounds lighter.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Hank68

Default MVVS 1.60

A guy in my club has the Mvvs 1.60 on a Goldberg Sukhoi.It doesn't have near the power of my 3W24.The RCS 1.40 is a good choice though.I will stick with my 3W.It has plenty of power and it's not broken in yet.Swings an 18x8 3W wood prop at 7200 rpm with just a gallon of gas through it.Should swing an 18x8 CF at 8000 rpm when fully broken in.

Hank
Old 05-27-2003, 04:38 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so what type of plane is this you're having put together? I think knowing this might help with being able to give a more tailored answer to your question.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned two 3W-24 gassers and they are the most powerful engines in their class. Easily equal in power to the Zenoah G38 but much lighther. The rear induction intake is the only thing that requires a little more work to get dialed in but well worth it.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:17 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The plane

This is the JMC 1/4 scale Extra 260 (73.75"). It's one of 2 prototypes and I am putting a YS in mine. But my friend Tony wants to put a smaller gasser in his. I tell him he's crazy, but he swears it'll be under 11lbs with the gasser.

Jason
Old 05-27-2003, 09:25 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, just checked your site, now I know who I'm talking to. The Extra looks pretty cool. How do you think a 3lb 50cc engine would do in the front?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:35 PM
TorkRollN
My Feedback: (22)

Default RCS 1.4

Hi Jason,

I have an RCS 1.4 with only three runs on it.
It has a KS #1050 pipe on it.
A Mejlik 18X6 prop.

This combo is on a Funtana.
It provides good power for long vertical lines.
It seemed like it was starting to run out of oomph at the top but I think I may be a little lean or the pipe may need adjusted.
It seemed to have pleny of power to hover it. Although we did this way up high, not knowing if the engine would quit.
We test flew it at the Joe Nall, but the skies were too crowded to do any real testing.
I actually can't wait to fly it again.

I have not had time to get any rpm readings on it yet.
I will try to get them this weekend and get some more flights on it so I can tell you more about the performance.

I will also try to weigh it this weekend.

Barry Finck
Grantville, PA