Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GP Pitts Airfoil

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Skip Harper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Pitts Airfoil

Just started on mine and noticed that the bottom wing is symmetrical and the top is symmetric. All reports indicate it's a great flier. The only full size ones around here both wings are symmetric. Here's hoping, Skip
Old 05-27-2003, 06:06 PM
stinker

Default GP Pitts Airfoil

They fly great, your gonna love it!

Stinker
Old 05-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Skip Harper

Default GP Pitts Airfoil

I'm working on it now and can hardly wait. I picked up a BME 50 with the Pitts muffler and it is going to be an easy installation. I'm now flying a Lanier CAP with a G62 at 19.5 lbs. Flies great, lands like a brick (approach approx, Mach I). With all the frontal area of the Pitts I will be accustomed to carrying power all the way to the ground. Since I've heard nothing but good things about the flying characteristics of the Pitts, I quit worring about the airfoil configuration, although it does seem wierd to me. The CAP goes to the belly in knife edge, the Pitts will probably pull to the canopy.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 PM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default GP Pitts Airfoil

Pitts need a lot of roll coupling on knife edge, it pitches toward the belly, I have been flying mine with g-62 for 1 1/2 years, great flyer but a brick on landing, keep power on until close to ground. If you chop the throttle too soon it will stop & drop like a brick.

Gil
Old 05-28-2003, 01:37 AM
Skip Harper

Default GP Pitts Airfoil

Thanks Gil, I appreciate all the help I can get. Did you use two aileron servos in the bottom wing or four servos?
Old 05-28-2003, 02:05 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default GP Pitts Airfoil

I used four servos, two left together with y-connector & two right the same, I put two ernst charge jacks right behind the cabane struts & split the ailerons between channel 1 & 6 for flapperons & spoilerons. I use a futaba 6xas radio. It works great, I probably went a little overkill on servo's 4- 110 oz analogs on ailerons, 2 of the same on rudder with pull pull set up & two of the same on elevators. Plenty of control authority. I used a g-62 for power with a j&a pitts muffler with smoke, tme smoke pump & 24oz smoke tank right on cg. Any info I can help you with I'll be more than happy to do.
Gil