Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Can you wood screw hinges in place

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Can you wood screw hinges in place

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:15 PM
JW Walker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you wood screw hinges in place

Often times it seems that my planes need to under go some
repairs. I haven`t quite got the hang of this flying thing down pat
yet, but boy can I fix em! One thing that`s a pain is replacing hinges that are snapped in 2 pcs. So is there a reason I can`t
use #2x1/4 woodscrews to put them in with. If I use medium GP
hinges and drill small holes in the wing with the hinge in place so that the woodscrew has a small hole in the hinge to get a bite on I think that`ll work. what ya think! JW
Old 05-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Scalebuff

I wouldnt even think about it for a number of reasons besides the fact it would look a bit of a mess

but realy we are talking about control surfaces and if you loose them to a few screws at best your plane will come in for a premature landing or even worse hurt someone....

i feel your pain though i hate hinging too but thats models for ya ...

i simply glue the hinges in and them pin them with coctail sticks, drop of PVA glue and then sand it flush, its way safer and you carnt see em when your finished ..

your screws could easly viabrate out causing all sorts of nasty problems
Old 05-27-2003, 03:43 AM
JW Walker

Thank you for your reply. But if you cover the flat head screws that are drawn in flush into the balsa, with the strip you use to seal the hinge gap, that should help keep everthing in place quite nicely. While also covering up the mess. JW
Old 05-27-2003, 07:53 AM
Steve Lewin

IMO woodscrews into balsa is asking for trouble. You're putting much more point load on the wood round the screws than normal. Glued hinges work because the load is shared across the whole area of the hinge.

Of course you could replace the trailing edges and front of all control surface with a harder wood but that's a lot of work.

Steve
Old 05-27-2003, 04:05 PM
pinball-RCU

I you take this approach (and why not?), my only recommendation would be to harden the balsa with thin CA. Otherwise a wood screw into balsa is really not very secure.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:34 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use Robart Hinge points.

They also sell a sleeve that glues into the stab (wing/fin etc). once installed, the hinge goes into the sleeve and is held in place with a set screw. That way, if you ever need to remove them, you just undo the screw and they come right out.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES25&P=7
Old 05-27-2003, 07:20 PM
BykrDan

Along these lines, maybe you can tell me if this is going to work out or not...

I just finished installing the hinges on my strip ailerons - I used Dubro small nylon hinges, and I just epoxied them in place.

The first one was kind of hard to do; I mixed the epoxy and tried to pour/trowel it into the surface slots. It was kind of messy, and for fear of getting glue on the actual hinges, I probably didn't put in as much as I'd have liked. After that one set up, I flexed it a little and did find it a bit stiff, but after working it a bit, and hearing a bit of a 'crack', it works much smoother. I HOPE that was just the hinge unsiezing!

The second one went much better - I mixed the epoxy on wax paper, then folded it into kind of a pastry chef's icing tube, taped it shut, inserted into the hinge slot, and squeezed each one full. That seemed to work a lot better - I got more epoxy in, and it was much neater (still had to wipe up the surface a bit, but it was a lot better overall) so I didn't have any binding once it was dried. It would have worked even better had I made up one tube per slot.

Anyway, my question is, is this a suitable way to connect control surfaces? Or should I go back and pin them to be safe?

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:45 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Default screwing in hinges

There was an article in a recent RC magazine about using screws to make control surfaces detachable. I think it was Model Aviation. Perhaps somebody recalls this.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Flyeboy

Default Wood Screws

Hi Folks ;; I have a fellow that uses Panell screws to hold his ENGINES in his plane. Every time he come to the field to fly we--WE have to re adjust and tighten his screws. We( the members) have ask him to use bolts and nuts, But to no avail. Many is the times the engine has come out of the plane while in flight. Good thing we have our field away back in the mountains. Bob.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:33 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,
Your epoxied hinges should be fine. I've done a number of them this way and never had a problem. (I use a plastic straw to pick up the epoxy, then "blow" it into the hinge slots.)

I mostly use Robart hinge points now though. Really like them.
Dennis-
Old 05-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take a toothpick and put vasoline on the hinge joint, THEN epoxy them in place. Haven't epoxied a hinge together yet doing this.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:41 PM
BykrDan

Thanks - a drinking straw! Excellent idea (easier than the wax paper, I'm sure).

I'll use vaseline on the hinge line next time - I tried a little melted floor wax, but when I dipped the folded hinge in, capillary action sucked it up all over then hinge and made a pretty big mess.

Dan.