Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Common A123 battery for receiver and ignition with 2.4Ghtz radio

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Common A123 battery for receiver and ignition with 2.4Ghtz radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Common A123 battery for receiver and ignition with 2.4Ghtz radio

So buy another charger. Cheaper than buying A123 batteries and their special charger.

ORIGINAL: iliveonlytocrash

My reason for wanting to use a single battery is this: I own & manage several small businesses and my flying time is limited and usually a spur of the moment type schedule. I often do not get to fly because I have to charge 3 batteries first (transmitter and 2 airborn) and by then my free time is up. This year I only averaged 1, 10min flight/week. My charger is an accu-cycle so it only charges 2 batteries at a time, so I have to charge the plane batteries and then the transmitter.

After hearing everyone's comments, I think my best solution is to use 2 A123 batteries (1 for receiver, 1 for ignition) with a diode or 2 on the igniton to drop the voltage. Then I can charge each plane AFTER I fly, and hopefully, with the slow self discharge rate of the A123's (compared to nimh) I will be able to just grab a plane and go at any moment. Does this sound reasonable? Is there such a thing as using A123's for the transmitter?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
iliveonlytocrash
My Feedback: (1)

I was thinking of that too, but I still may have to top off the batteries before I fly. Is it ok to just leave the batteries on the charger for several days in the trickle charge mode? My transmitter has a 600mah battery, the receiver is a 2700mah, and the ignition is a 1450mah.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
61ahs

Went to Walmart yesterday and while wandering through the tool department I found the Black & Decker VPX A123 packs on sale for $7. Bought all they had.

Rick
Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

That's great! Wally world bailing on those left us with some good priced 1100mah, for sure.
BTW - I have some extra 2S2300's, if anyone is needing a few.