Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Speed difference between a Pull-start and a Non Pull

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Speed difference between a Pull-start and a Non Pull

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 09:12 PM
sngskunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed difference between a Pull-start and a Non Pull

What is the speed difference between the two are we talking 10 mph difference or like a 2 mph. I am still trying to diced what to get.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:47 PM
1fstxnt

The speed difference isn't all that noticable. Does have a little more power but nothing very noticable. Hope this helps, Jon
Old 05-27-2003, 10:34 PM
flyingjibus

the biggest dif is that non-pull starts sit a little lower which in turn lowers the center of gravity(this is good)
Old 05-28-2003, 12:01 AM
sngskunk

It will cost me fifthy more dollars to get a non-pull start, so do you think it is worth it.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:12 AM
outluded

it costs you MORE to get a no-ps? thats weird...usually its the other way around
Old 05-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Stingray42

outluded: u need started box instead, More $$$!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:44 AM
sngskunk

it does because off the starter box, so what o you think i should do.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:05 AM
studysession

I have a pull start on my TC3 - But I always use a box to start it. I do not want to take body off everytime and i do not want to cut bigger whole in body for pull start.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:14 AM
flyingjibus

if your serious about racing the non ps is the way to go. if not then what ever you want. tho I hear that pull starts break alot. If you do get a starter box dont skimp on it if you get a good one it will last otherwise with a pull start or cheap starter box you will be replacing things often
Old 05-28-2003, 01:26 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Pullstart

The difference between the two in speed alone is NULL, a pullstart adds some slight drag in that the engine has to rotate the weight of the pullstart shaft, then there is the slight drag caused by the one way bearing.
If you were to put both side by side on a dyno you would see some higher RPMS on the non pull version.
On the track you probably would not notice the difference unless you also ran a light weight flywheel on the non pull. The light flywheel further reduces rotating mass and thus allows the engine to spool up faster and reach high RPMS. Pull starts usually wont even allow you to add the lightweight flywheel because Idle becomes very erratic.

To make the decision easier for you, you might think of it like this.

Pull starts will wear out, its not an opinion its a fact. One way bearings are the heart of the pullstart and why they work. They are also the reason they fail.

In most cases people in general are fine with a pullstart until the engine begins to have problems. Once that happens you start to see threads about arms about to fall off and fingers torn up from pulling on that cord.
The starter box is effortless and painless and will last a lifetime considering you maintain it properly.
I have had my OFNA box for something like 5 years and its still going strong with no signs of fatique. I have done nothing to it other than change the battery and one rubber wheel.

In five years time you would have paid for a box 5 times over buying pullstarts.

The choice is yours.

Dbow