Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dealing with gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 12:51 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealing with gas?

To you gas guzzlin' experts, where do you store your gas powered aircraft when you aren't flying them? the reason I ask is that i have built a Ziroli Hellcat and it has a gas engine in it...my first, and I live in an apartment that has no 'secure' outside storage. I haven't flown it yet, but once I've put gas in it is it ok to drain all the gas out, clean it up as much as possible and then bring it back inside. Of course the empty gas can will be kept outside. Thanks for any tips!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:28 AM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I am done flying for the day I pump out the left over gas from the tank. Clean the plane, plug the vent line, and close the choke. Two paper towel plugs block the pipes from the mufflers and into the spare bedroom they go.

Hellcat sounds cool. Good looking birds.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:51 AM
smchale

Thanks PCM! I have a couple pics of it in my gallery on here if you're interested.

Another question for the gas-gurus...are there any tricks to plumbing this thing? Do I just run the fuel (oops, I mean gas) lines as I would on a glow engine? (one to the carb, one fill, and one vent). i heard something about a loop up higher than the carb then back down to stop ciphoning when the plane is at rest?? any tips or sketches on running these lines would be helpful.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:52 AM
capthis

I pretty much do the same as PCM except plug the exhaust, although that does sound like a good idea. There is also some stuff made to put in gas to make it smell better, but I haven't had to try it. I can't stand the smell of gas and I haven't noticed it in the house yet!
Old 05-28-2003, 11:41 AM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

I plumb mine like that too.

1) Main line running to the carb with a clunk in the tank.
2) Filler line running to a fuel dot also with a clunk in the tank but a little shorter then the main line.
3) Vent line brass tube to the top of the tank.

I never heard anything about making a loop before. My line just runs to the carb fitting the easiest way I could route it.

Good luck
Old 05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I run a simple two line system.

Carb / clunk line has a T in it for fueling and de-fueling.
Vent line is run out the bottom of the cowl.

There is no need for a dual clunk or 3rd line system because the carb will not allow fuel to go that way when fueling.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:41 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I have another related problem. When I carry the gas can, it stinks up the whole car! My can is brand new and doesn't leak. I need a way to carry it outside, like on the bumper or roof.

Tom
Old 05-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Cub, I have a Dubro quick fill valve. When I come in for the last flight of the day I will insert the filler valve into it and allow the engine to run out the fuel in the line to the carb. I also live in a apartment. I only smell a faint smell of gas for a day and that is it.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Ed

I like the smell of Bubble Gum myself. Try here >http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...99&prmenbr=361
Old 05-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Stick Jammer

greenboot,
If you smell gas in the car, your can isn't sealed up tight. I carry two 2-1/2 gallon containers of gas, a generator, and gas saws in my work van all the time with no smell at all. When I do smell gas, I know there's a leak somewhere.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:43 AM
smchale

Thanks guys, this puts my mind at ease!
Old 05-29-2003, 12:55 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with wgeffon. It's simple, it doesn't cost much, and it works perfectly. If you use some hemostats to clamp the line off before you remove the fill line, you can plug the line without getting any air in the system.

I hook the vent line to a line going back to my gas can. That way I don't spill any on the grass.

Robart makes some nice couplers, tees, and elbows to use with the Tygon tubing.

Roger
Old 05-29-2003, 02:21 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default Check this out

Check out http://www.hughesrc.com. The Fuel Jewel is a great way to fuel your plane, either glow or gas.