Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Need to find a stable Heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Need to find a stable Heli

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:35 AM
slide2383

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to find a stable Heli

I am going to be building a UAV. I have experience designing unmanned ground and underwater vehicles before but have never dealt with helicopters. So I am searching for a model that can achieve high stability and hover in one place as well as carry a payload of at least 150g. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm really trying to spend <= $300 on the actual vehicle as I'm just doing this in my spare time (that seems to be most of my time lately lol). Thanks!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Need to find a stable Heli

Come visit us in the EXI 450 thread... think you'd be happy with this heli then.

good luck
Old 11-05-2008, 01:24 PM
slide2383

What about this one, http://www.xheli.com/exi-450-arf-rc-helicopter.html and for only $99. I've read other people adding upgrades, is this 'fully upgradeable'?

I like the idea of the aluminum frame, but as I have no experience any input would be helpful
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM
UTM

The Exi is a very good heli for the $$$. It is fully upgradable and most of the Trex 450 parts will fit on it so if you have a hobby store that sells helicopters close chances are you can get replacment parts there. As you have no experience I want to be sure that you know that the $99 price tag is for the airframe only. No electronics will come with it. You will have to still purchase the following
cyclic servo 3x
brushless motor
ESC - electronic speed controller
gyro
high speed tail servo
transmitter/controller with CCPM programming (may not be needed depending on what you will be using to fly the UAV)
6 channel min receiver
at least 1 3 cell lipo battery in the 2000 - 2500 mAh range

These items is where the most of the $$$ spent on a heli are wrapped up the airframe is less expensive than some of these componants (eg a futaba gy401 HH gyro is $150) You can certainly budget shop these items particularly if you are not planning on doing any really hard flying or 3D. From your post it sounds like that will not be your intention. Although programming a computer to do a 3D flight would be pretty cool At any rate I think you should plan on spending at a minimum $300 additionl dollors on the above listed items. If you were to buy TOTL componants the price tag will be much higher.

I have an Exi just like this one and here is a listing of my electronics with rough prices.
Align 430L 3550kv motor - $45
Align 35A ESC - $55
HiTech HS 65hb cyclic servos 3x - $25 per
Futaba GY401 HH gyro - $150
JR DS3400G tail servo - $80
Spektrum ar6200 receiver - $80
Spektrum DXi transmitter - $189
11.1v 20c 2200 mah lipo - $20 - $80 depending on brand

Still this heli is a great deal and it will hover very stable if setup properly.

Good luck

Uri
Old 11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
slide2383

Can anyone recommend where i can get a mostly ready to fly EXI 450? At least all the parts together since I could assembly it myself. Since I'm not, hand picking the parts myself is a bit much at the moment lol
Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
UTM

Here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXI-450-100%25-R...01141006r29109
Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 PM
slide2383

I was looking for something more in the $300 range. I don't need it to be top of the line right now, if I want to later I'd rather upgrade to get better performance.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
DumbDawg

Well Slide... I bought that very EXI when it was $69.00 and $99.00 isn't all that bad either... I certainly wouldn't and didn't buy the components that UTM stated. You can buy much more for considerably cheaper and it will fly just as well... For example this heli will fly with Tower Pro sg-90 servos and about $10 apiece, Telebee Gyro for $49.00, DX6i Tx for $150, AR6100 Rx $49.00, 3900Kv motor 30aESC combo for $25 - $32.00... Much less money and the heli will fly nice and smooth....

The Align, JR, Futaba gear is all fine if you have the coin to drop on the more expensive gear but not everyone here has coinage dropping from their pockets... like me

Thats why you came asking too. To find out whats out there... An EXI is a good choice too because it is fully exchangable/ungradable with the Trex SE V2 heli. So as you get more money you start swapping out cheaper plastic parts for better quality parts. BTW Align isn't the only maker of quality parts either. cnchelicopter.com makes great heli's and components. IMO... buy the EXI and fit it with middle of the road, in terms of quality and price, parts and go from there as a starting point.

happy fly'n
Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Missileman

If you want to consider used I am selling my HDX450 which is ready to fly with a scale fuselage.
If you want super stable take the fuselage off and fly stock.(NOTE: you will need a charger for the included lipo batteries)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330283175371
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM
UTM

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

Well Slide... I bought that very EXI when it was $69.00 and $99.00 isn't all that bad either... I certainly wouldn't and didn't buy the components that UTM stated. You can buy much more for considerably cheaper and it will fly just as well... For example this heli will fly with Tower Pro sg-90 servos and about $10 apiece, Telebee Gyro for $49.00, DX6i Tx for $150, AR6100 Rx $49.00, 3900Kv motor 30aESC combo for $25 - $32.00... Much less money and the heli will fly nice and smooth....

The Align, JR, Futaba gear is all fine if you have the coin to drop on the more expensive gear but not everyone here has coinage dropping from their pockets... like me

Thats why you came asking too. To find out whats out there... An EXI is a good choice too because it is fully exchangable/ungradable with the Trex SE V2 heli. So as you get more money you start swapping out cheaper plastic parts for better quality parts. BTW Align isn't the only maker of quality parts either. cnchelicopter.com makes great heli's and components. IMO... buy the EXI and fit it with middle of the road, in terms of quality and price, parts and go from there as a starting point.

happy fly'n
I did say further up in my post that those items can be bargin shopped as you stated. Actually I started out with the TP-Sg90's in my bird and a telebee too which now resides in my Falcon 40 FP
As he is a rookie to helis I just wanted to be sure and let him know that the $99 price tag doesnt get you flying. Be a pretty rude suprise to get a heli in the mail that you think is ready to go only to find out that many more items still need to be purchased. I should think that even bargin shopping you electronics you will probably spend at least $300 to get the Exi in the air.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Look forward to hearing about the UAV testing and maybe even some video for us to watch.

Uri
Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM
DumbDawg

UTM... I agree with you on the rookie thing as well... I did build mine somewhat cheaper by shopping around too. I wanted to let him know that when shopping it can look daunting when you see some of the prices, Futaba for example, some servos are selling for... Gyro's are the same... Buying a $49 Telebee or a Futaba GY401 for $150 dollars. The Telebee works great for just average flying but you will likely need the Futaba if you are into some serious 3D flying....

Not slamming you bro... just another viewpoint

happy fly'n
Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
UTM

Dog no sweat man. I didn't think you were bashing me. I think it's great that he can get several different opinions. It will help to make the buying decisions easier. I saved up for quite a whhile to afford the electronics I bought. I figured if I was going to do it I'd go all out The only thing I want to change now is the motor/ESC. Need somthing with a little more in the caboose.

Uri