Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Can you use a plumbing torch to rebend aluminum?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Can you use a plumbing torch to rebend aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can you use a plumbing torch to rebend aluminum?

I've heat bent various metals but never aluminum. I'm thinking of cutting in half and rebending the landing gear from a deceased fourstar 120 for my new Fourstar 120 and mounting the halves to hardwood mounts out on the wings. Will the aluminum retain it's strength well enough?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
TedMo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can you use a plumbing torch to rebend aluminum?

My guess is that no need to heat bend aluminum it is not that hard compared to steel. Of course there is soft as well as hard aluminum but not that hard that heat is necassary. Probably you will get replies from others with more knowledge of metals than I but anyhow just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, aluminum is tempered just like steel is. Heating it will ruin it.

But as Ted said, you should just be able to bend it without heat
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

isn't heating part of tempering metals?

david
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: dhal22

isn't heating part of tempering metals?

david
Yes, but it is an exact science. Aluminum must be heated to a precise temperature and then kept there - sometimes for hours - and then cooled at a given rate.

Just heating it and letting it cool (Or quenching) will ruin the existing temper.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aluminum we usually have in modeling is bent cold. It loses it's temper with the bending, but self-restores over a short time. It won't stand a lot of bending and adjusting all at once. Try to get it right with one bend, and it'll harden up within a day. work it and it might break and might not harden back.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM
kdc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The material normally used for U/C is not aluminium but Duralumin (Dural ) which is 95 percent aluminium with 4 percent copper and half percent manganese half percent magnesium. Dural can be annealed and then bent when cold and left to harden.
I seem to remember that you can smear ordinary soap onto it before annealing so that when heated the soap turns brown when sufficient temperature has been reached.

The working time for dural after annealing is about 1 hour, then it becomes fully age hardened at room temperatures in about 4 or 5 days.

You can tell Dural from other types of aluminium by the 'ring' if you strike it with something hard.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good call Ted and Minn. I was able to rebend it cold without seeming to stress the metal in the bends too much. I'll post some pics tomorrow. The plan is to attach fake gear doors to the landing gear out on the wings, which will be a bit easier with the wide flat original gear than with wire.

Thanks,
Rich

Kdc I may try to use heat with the new gear that came with the new fourstar kit if this set doesn't hold up. If so I'll repost here.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
sodbuster 1

ORIGINAL: kdc

The material normally used for U/C is not aluminium but Duralumin (Dural ) which is 95 percent aluminium with 4 percent copper and half percent manganese half percent magnesium. Dural can be annealed and then bent when cold and left to harden.
I seem to remember that you can smear ordinary soap onto it before annealing so that when heated the soap turns brown when sufficient temperature has been reached.

The working time for dural after annealing is about 1 hour, then it becomes fully age hardened at room temperatures in about 4 or 5 days.

You can tell Dural from other types of aluminium by the 'ring' if you strike it with something hard.

that is the correct answer.
Actually it applies to most aluminum

if you try to bend unannealed aluminum in a sharp turn like landing gear, you will more often stress crack it due to the tempering
Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 PM
MinnFlyer

Almost ALL of the aluminum used today is an alloy of some sort and has some sort of heat treatment.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM
qldviking

I found the best way to bend alloy is to bend it over a radius rather than a sharp edge. I use a piece of hardwood with a 1/2 radius on the corner I use for bending. I've never had a problem. using a sharp edge I have cracked alloy before
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: kdc

Aluminum alloys with a high percent of copper are from the 2xxx series of alloys. More info here. http://www.materialsengineer.com/E-Aluminum.htm and here http://www.answers.com/topic/duralumin
Old 11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you cannot use torch with aluminum.

tempering with heat in 2xxx Aluminum will lead to aging of aluminum.

yes its aluminum from 2xxx series and its "T" kind means heat treated.

Aluminum melting point is 660 C deg, heat treatment of aluminum starts at about 150 C which is very low.

if you heat it will cause the alloy to become brittle.

Alex