Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World p-51 radio gear help

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World p-51 radio gear help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 01:01 AM
eliminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World p-51 radio gear help

Ok, My WM .40/.46 size p-51 is on it's way and I want to get my radio gear ready.

Here's what I have so far: Airtronics flight pac w/4servos, bat, reciver,etc

I know I need another servo and a retract servo. Should I get a standard Airtronics retract, or a more high torque one. Also, I need to know how many y-harnesses and extensions I need.

Any internal pics would be great.

thanx

eliminator
Old 05-31-2003, 01:44 AM
eliminator

also....I wonder if my GMS .40 ABC can get her in the air. GMS engins are know for their power output....at least I think so.

elim
Old 05-31-2003, 02:39 AM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Default WM Dago Red

Hello,
I was able to use 1 "y" adapter for the aileron servos with no extensions. The servos are mounted fairly close to the center of the wing. I used a standard Hitec retract servo and the factory WM "clamps" to secure the retract wires to the servo. I also did not bend the ends of the wires like the manual says. I set the control horn so its about 30* off of the centerline. When it cycles, I get complete motion each way. Also, the factory tires are pretty small so there shouldn't be any problem with the standard retract servo cycling the gear. Looking at the photo below, the wheels are currently fully retracted. Regarding the engine, I'm not much help there. I had a GMS .47 once in a Javelin and it seemed pretty powerful. I have a bad habit of severely overpowering my planes and have a 1.20 Saito in this one. Lastly, I'd spend a few extra dollars and get a more powerful elevator servo. Maybe it's not necessary with a .40 size engine but I believe it is good insurance. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82703_15853.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	48640  
Old 05-31-2003, 10:29 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'l find a large group using and average of .60 size engines. I use a G90 in mine. Glass the corners for the extra strength and it will hold up fine. I just built one for a buddy with a 61fx mounted sideways with a Pitts underneath.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:15 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in regards to the retract servo a standard one will work fine. The factory retracts are not very heavy.

You will be pleased with your plane, I loved mine while I had it.