Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Want to get a Hummingbird

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Want to get a Hummingbird

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Dan00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get a Hummingbird

Hey all, I live in the UK and want to get a Century Hummingbird from a US store (tons cheaper). If I get a deal combo with everything you need without a transmitter would all this gear be compatible over here? I was afraid the charger and stuff wouldn't work...bear with me im new to this game . Does ne1 hav any suggestions of hobby or mail order shops in the US that do these helis and ship? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:34 PM
cebrey

Charger: you may have to buy a converter from 110V (or whatever it is in the US) to 230V.

Radio gear: You'll almost *definitely* need to change the radio gear from 72MHz (which I think is what they use in the US) to 35MHz. If you use any other frequency, with the exception of 27MHz or (something like) 459MHz then you're either breaking the law or asking for trouble (or both).

The other thing to consider is that you'll probably have to pay for import tax too.

Be sure to take all this into account when you're considering the savings that you'll make on the price of the chopper.

Also, you say that you're new to this game. It may be worth you considering getting a larger heli that's more stable and therefore easier to learn to fly on. I've just bought the Robbe Eolo which I've seen fly at the local flying club and it seems to be fairly solid in build and in terms of flight characteristics. Another thing to consider is using an RC simulator, like EasyFly (for the basics) or Pre-flight or G2 (to name but a few). This saves rather a lot of money in repairs

If there's anything else you need to know, feel free to ask, either on the forums or via PM. I'm in Nottingham, BTW.

HTH.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:50 PM
Sar

I got one on friday, make sure to order spare blades and at least one spare tail rotor
Old 06-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Dodgey99

Agreed.

1. Get spare rotors.
2. Don't bother with the US at this stage. Midland Helicopters do a good complete deal for just over £200. After postage and VAT and handling charged it will work out more expensive from the US. And you will have all of the radio frequency problems.
3. The US IS good for hop-ups, lithiums etc as the orders are cheap enough to get through customs with no charges, and the dollar is pretty weak at the moment.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Dan00

yer, ive decided not to bother with US now, too much hassle for the savin. Think ill use sussex model centre or midland as u suggested