Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Trainer modificaton

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Trainer modificaton

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Mike P
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer modificaton

Somewhere I read an article or post describing how to modify a trainer for fun fly events. Now that I need it, of course I can not find it again. Anyone remember the article?
Thanks, Mike
Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 AM
beepee

Default RE: Trainer modificaton

Mikee,

Can't guide you to the article, but I can comment on some modifications. I assume you are talking about permanent changes. I did much the same with my Great Planes Trainer 60. It had a symmetrical wing, but that is not a required feature. I shortened the tail moment (maybe about 10%), built a new wing with no dihedral and took a rib bay out on both sides (stubbing the wing by a total of 6"). With some work, you can make the same changes to the existing wing. Where possible, increasing the size of the control surfaces will help. I also converted to taildragger, but that is not necessarily good for fun fly work.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM
bonedaddy41

Funny you should mention that Some of the people I fly with still think I'm crazy - but I have modified a few trainers in my life.

I am currently flying the 5th (XC5) in a series of Experimental Hanger9 Cessna Advanced Trainers (the previous 4 gave their all in experimentation over the past 6 years). The current version has no dihedral in the wing, the wing was transformed from a rubberband hold-down to a nylon bolt mount, the ailerons and elevator were double in size and the rudder was increased 3 times its original size. I also changed the pivot angle of the rudder to a 90 degree of the flight plane instead of the original 45 degree. While recovering the plane, I built servo mounts in the wing so each aileron is controlled by its own servo instead of the single push-pull servo. Oh yeah, it is also powered by an OS 50SX

As can be expected, it no longer flies like a trainer. Besides being VERY fast and nimble, it has no self-correcting capabilities at all and is the slightest bit "twitchy" in a crosswind. It will tumble, knife-edge and harrier very nicely now

I doubt that there will be an XC6 - I think Hanger9 has discontinued the arf [&o]
Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: Mike P

Somewhere I read an article or post describing how to modify a trainer for fun fly events. Now that I need it, of course I can not find it again. Anyone remember the article?
Thanks, Mike
Mke:

Check this one:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/07_09/Fun-Fly.htm

Regards!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Mike P

I knew I could count on receiving the information I wanted. Thanks to all of you. I am going to incorporate all the ideas into a Spadet. I also liked the idea of over powering the aircraft. What a hoot to see a "trainer" hover. Now I just need the flying skills to pull it off.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas from North Dakota.
Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 PM
longdan

Have a look at this trainer

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=ESpwvfm5oF8