Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

airplane motor in place of a 540 size???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

airplane motor in place of a 540 size???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 AM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airplane motor in place of a 540 size???

i would like to use an airplane motor in my ax10 because it is different and they are cheap and abundant.sensorless.but i need to know what size motor has the same bolt spacing?they rate flight motors different than surface motors.i work at a hobby stor and i am kind of confused by the change,granted flight is not my department.but when i look at the motor celection,they have motors that seem like 370,380 size labeled "180" and motors labeled "420" size that are much bigger than a 540? bottom line i need to know what size flight motors share the 540's bolt pattern and shaft diameter.i want a sick brushless crawler.
so if any one knows or has done or seen a conversion let me know what you know.maybe i can look up some stats for allready swaped motors at my work and match something up.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Chameleon1204

Default RE: airplane motor in place of a 540 size???

I know this is gonna sound nuts, and I've been out of flying for a while, but...

If i remember correctly, a "Park 480 outrunner" may fit the bill. the can is short, the holes are located on the outer rim of the mounting plate, and the torque is crazy! If this don't work, you may look into one of the brands that use a number system to label their cans... 4220-xxkv.... this would be a 42mm diameter, 20mm can depth. get it?

good luck
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 AM
K_B

Default RE: airplane motor in place of a 540 size???

Airplane motors are actually quite common in crawlers. Many people use the even smaller Park 400. But the bolt spacing is wrong and needs an adapter. I used an AXI 2212-26 outrunner in my crawler which is about 380 size and even smaller than the Park 400. It's amazing the amount of power in those tiny motors.

www.holmeshobbies.com has a nice selection of brushless outrunners specifically for crawlers and they all have the proper bolt pattern to bolt right in with no adapters. Hyperion makes some outrunners that bolt right up as well. Not sure if Holmes still sells those or not. His own brand of motors might just be re-badged Hyperion motors for all I know.

They still don't come close to the smooth throttle response of a brushed motor though. If you decide to go with an outrunner, I would suggest the Quark ProCar 33A brushless ESC. That's what I use and it's very smooth for a brushless controller. But it has a delay on the reverse which can screw you up trying to avoid a rollover.