Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting lipo's on full size aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Transporting lipo's on full size aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 PM
retread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting lipo's on full size aircraft

Does anyone know the policies for transporting lipo's on full size aircraft? I am going to Barbados this winter and am taking the Eflite 25 Piper Cub with me. Am taking along a couple of 3300 mah lipos. Can I take these as carry on, or do I have to put them in the checked luggage. I plan on putting them in Ziploc baggies. Sure would hate to have them confiscated on me at the airport.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM
simmo8

Default RE: Transporting lipo's on full size aircraft

there was a post on this about 2 days ago LOL haha you aparintley need to have them as cary on in a zip lock bag but the best thing to do would be to ring the airport and the airline and just make sure
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know the FAA has no idea what to do about them. How do I know. ?

They constantly change the weight of the cell that is legal & how may ounces constitue a risk.

simmo8 is totaly right. Call AIRPORT SECURITY to get the latest right information.

Have who ever walks you to the gate ready to take the batteries & plane home if necessary.

LIPOS & gay weddings, are about equal in what is legal and where.

Rich
Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 PM
simmo8

LOL well thats he best way to put it lol
i was looking at a document writen about lithium baterys and noticed that they swap and chainge all the time. i dont realy get it because if you caried a lipo or li ion batery onto plane they might be like [X(] but if you cary a laptop or phone they are all fine with it even tho its the same thing LOL silly people these days gotta love it
Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
retread

I've read that lith ion batts can't be transported by air in bulk. I've read the airport restrictions on carry on lith batts, how is one to know how may oz or grams our packs contain?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:54 PM
simmo8

http://www.ultralifebatteries.com/do...egulations.pdf

the way i understand it is that they need to be tested
Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Why not save yourself the hassle and just mail the batteries to your destination. That way all you need to worry about is getting that plane past security. It may be a little difficult taking it as carry on these days as there are more restrictions. Several years ago I brought a ParkZone Cub back from Salt Lake and was singled out by security. They wanted to see an R/C model up close and personal as most had never seen one. I almost missed my flight from all the questions they were asking. "How much does it cost?" How long does it fly and Where can I get one? I had to take it out of the box and explain the controls. The couldn't believe it was electric until I showed them the motor. I finally had to tell them that I was about to miss my flight and they arranged for one of those golf cart people to get me down the ramp to the gate in the nick of time.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 AM
simmo8

LOL OMG for real now that is funny lol i can just emagine
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
cyclops2

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Starcad
Thanks for the laughs.

Rich
Old 12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rules and what they think are the rules are two different things. All I can say is good luck...
Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
retread

Looks like you're allowed 8 grams of lithium in your batteries that you carry on with yourself. www.ultralifebatteries.com has a formula to figure the lithium content of a given pack as follows - weight (grams) = Ah x .3 x # of cells. So a 3S 3300 mah pack would be 3.3 x .3 x 3 = 2.97 g of lithium, which is well under 8g. I guess it all comes down to you pays your money and you takes your chances!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
cooper998

I suggest contacting Homeland Security as well as the airport you will be flying from, they will have the latest information. Now to be on the safe side it would be best to ship them to your destination and ship them back. I had a laptop battery confiscated since I was only allowed one spare battery and I had two with me (that's what I was told). To me the cost of shipping is far less than the cost of replacement any day.

cooper998