Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

NEW MTW RE3 Tuned Pipe Performance Review

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

NEW MTW RE3 Tuned Pipe Performance Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MTW RE3 Tuned Pipe Performance Review

Hello All,

I recently had the opportunity to test MTW’s newest product - the RE3 tuned pipe - on my DA85, and compare it with a Greeve pipe. I would like to share with you my findings through 3 videos that I have made.

I would also like to say that I am very impressed with performance of RE3 pipe. Not only did the test find that the RE3 produces 300 more rpm on average than the Greeve pipe, but also has a very good mid range feel.

I found the sound of RE3 to be different than my Greeve and deeper in idle. Although this is more of personal preference since no DB meter was available, I like the RE3 sound much better.

The RE3 is a little shorter but larger in diameter (by 10mm) than the Greeve, but has a thicker wall that promises a longer lasting product when used in less than perfect conditions such as higher vibration applications.

I test flew my RE3 in my QQ-Yak 101 and could not believe the extra power and speed that I gained! I used full length MTW header and left 0.5” gap between the header and pipe at the coupler. I had tried shorter header lengths but didn’t have much success as engine would get really hot and mid range suffered! I will continue testing on longer header that MTW is making later but I truly believe the answer is right here with what I have!

Prop Mejzlik 26x10
Greeve 6700 RPM
RE3 7078 RPM

Prop Mejzlik 26x12
Greeve 6400 RPM
RE3 6700 RPM (Speed of the plane was probably close to 100 mph with this set up)

I test flew the plane, not to show flying skills, but just to show the slow and high speed capabilities of this set up. So forgive me if the flying is not too thrilling. I was able to torque roll and tail slide from 30-40 feet to the ground and do everything I would with a standard muffler. Please note the speed in rolling loops as the plane ascending and also how fast plane launches from hover and maintains speed until out of sight! I used no throttle curve, there was a little jump in 5000 rpm range on the ground but didn’t feel bad in the air at all. MTW RE3 seems to be consistent in RPM increase even when I changed the prop!

I also flew the Greeve set up with a DA85 in the QQ-Yak 101 and prefer the increased power and speed of the RE3! Mid range felt very close, but the edge definitely goes to the RE3.

Please let me know if you have any questions and also what you think about the videos and tests. I have made a conscious effort to be as objective as possible on these tests, and spent many hours to get everything to this point.

Quique also would like to share with you his experience with the RE3 and RE2 pipes. He is the first to fly these in the States I believe. Below are his words:

“In July*2008 I was contacted by owner of MTW and was asked if I would be interested in testing their new pipes for DA85/170. It took me like...... 0.03 seconds to say sure I would be interested as I love this kind of work. Few days after our conversation I got a set for the DA170 and a set for the DA85. I first set up my Yak54 120" with DA170 and from first run I could see a big future. After flying and working on header length I concluded the RE3 MTW pipe is the way to go! Later I installed one in my Python with DA85 and it was same great performance. After all the DA85 and* DA170 excitement it was time to put 4 of the RE2 in my* TI-12 with DA200 and boy how sweet that was!!.*

As you can see in*Reza's Video flying our 101 Yak54 with RE3, the engine runs clean with incredible power.

The pipe has a deep sound especially at idle and it is built very strong which I also think it will offer a longer life. Thank you, Quique Somenzini”

Here are the videos I made!

Video 1 showing Greeve and RE3 comparison and RPM reading on the ground:
http://www.rcmodelaviator.com/Videos/RE3vsGreeveV1.wmv

Video 2 showing flight performance of MTW RE3 with Mejzlik 26x10:
http://www.rcmodelaviator.com/Videos/RE3V26x10.wmv

Video 3 showing flight performance of RE3 and Mejzlik 26x12:
http://www.rcmodelaviator.com/Videos/RE3V26x12.wmv

Best Regards,
Reza Gholamipour
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43760.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1096730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17240.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1096731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64486.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1096732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94135.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1096733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81969.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1096734  
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: NEW MTW RE3 Tuned Pipe Performance Review

Thanks for the test drive info Rezagh!! It sounds a tad rich in transition when you enter a verticle upline. Is that the pipe or motor?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Rezagh

You are correct!
It was the motor

Thank you,
Reza
ORIGINAL: Steve

Thanks for the test drive info Rezagh!! It sounds a tad rich in transition when you enter a verticle upline. Is that the pipe or motor?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good scoop thx 4 posting[8D]
Old 12-26-2008, 02:26 PM
smarks

Yes, thanks for the info. I am putting these on my 170. Can't wait to see them perform!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Rezagh

I am sure you will like it