Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Never raced before, have a TC3, advice needed..

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never raced before, have a TC3, advice needed..

I was cleaning up the basement today and came across a box of RC stuff. As I was digging through everything I found my old TC3. I got the car a few years back in a trade and never did anything with it. It is an x-racer with little wear. I rebuilt the shocks and diffs so they are butter smooth. I also put on a new set or rubber tires. I have never raced before so I'm thinking about giving it a try. I have no idea what class to get started in. Should I go with brushed or brushless class, maybe the vintage class? I have no idea where to begin. The track nearest me is a carpet track. Thanks for any help!

-JB
Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
SIRCC

Default RE: Never raced before, have a TC3, advice needed..

whats your budget
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
associatedrules

Go brushless 13.5. That way you don't have to buy a comm lathe, brushes, and all the other stuff to keep brused motors fast. 13.5 is just enough power and speed for beginners at racing. After you get good, bump up to the 10.5 class. Do not try and start out in the mod class. Matter of fact most tracks wont let you start out in mod.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the replies, budget isn't an issue, maybe $800 tops. I already have a DX3R from my MAXX project so all I need there is a receiver. I have a bunch of servos from various projects. The main thing I need is an ESC, motor and body. Racing is something I always wanted to try but never had the time. What 13.5 brushless setup would be reccomended?

-JB
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
associatedrules

I run an LRP Sphere TC with a Novak 13.5, but you really can't go wrong with any of the systems out there. Novak makes really good stuff and Tekin hhas some brushless systems that should be good for the track. You will want one that you can program to your driving style, track type, and motor.