Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Ok, noob tuned.. tell me how it sounds..

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
muslickz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, noob tuned.. tell me how it sounds..

Ok, go easy on me I am a noob at this after all.

I am hoping to pick up a few tips on tuning, I think I have the basic Ideas down.. but I have nothing to compare to.

Here's a lil vid of my Savage XL after my attempt at tuning it.. how's she sound? Any ideas are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRh-p8pq7nw

Thanks in advance for the comments!

-Mike
Old 01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ok, noob tuned.. tell me how it sounds..

ok, was at any point in that vid wot on the radio? (wide open throttle)

sounds very rich to me, meaning you can lean the hs needle a little more, also if your street allows try and get a speed run, a straight line and see if its shifting cause in that whole video i have herd nothing.

as for a good training video here are hpi's these help alot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prX0OeQLrbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nt5tA3vRl0

EDIT: never saw this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_CghxiUk
Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
BudBud

It sounds good, it is too rich and the idle is going to be way too high when you lean it out some. That is part of break in though. It will keep getting a faster idle as the pinch gets knocked down. You do not want to be super lean yet, you have a lot of untapped power there though. [8D]
Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
muslickz

Nice, yea.. I was wondering.. because I can get it to hit 2nd gear about 1/2 way to WOT.. then nothing.. but just once in a while it will hit 3rd after 3-5 secs at WOT.
It does seem to run a bit hot (260-280) and Idle@240-260.. does that sound high? Also once it hits 270+ it really picks up speed and then I can hit 3rd.. but still not every time.

I also feel I may be seeing a bit of that Half Tank Lean?? She gets a whole boatload of power (Wheelies etc..) at less than half a tank so I think maybe the 1/2 tank lean is getting me to the correct spot tuning wise?

I will try to lean it a bit and perhaps try to get a straight run on video.

-Mus
Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
BudBud

270 is normal for these, things, they run hot. That being said, if it is still fairly new, I would not lean out the top end much. You can lean the low end quite a bit and set your idle down as you go. It will get stronger and run cooler as you get more fuel through it. They really push the limits of lean to make good power. The one I had Supertib modify is nice to tune, but that is way too much money to spend on one. I was curious what was stopping the big .36 from cranking up the power, crank timing and poor port design. Glen