RF PROBLEM WITH A 64EI

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RF PROBLEM WITH A 64EI

Hey Bax
Ok here is my problem. I new 64ei that I just got. I have now run the engine a couple of times after it being a pain to get going but it runs fine now. The problem is the noise coming off the engine. When the plane was first set up the servos used were a futaba 3003 on the throttle and choke, jr 8711 on the elevator, hitec 645mg on the rudder. All of these are pluged into a jr spectrum rx. The htiec and futaba servos will not function and or have limited function at low throttle and none at high throttle. The jr works fine. I replaced all the servos in the fuse with jr but can not do the ones in the wing because the wing is closed no access to the servos. I talked to Terry at CH Ignitions today and he says yes this is a known problem with the Fujis. Do you guys have a simple solution for this problem with the rf or am I going to have to by an after market part to fix this problem.
thanks
George
Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: RF PROBLEM WITH A 64EI

Usually, making sure the ignition system is well-grounded is necessary. That means that the negative wire from the battery pack to the ignition unit also needs to be tied to the crankcase of the engine, along with making sure that the engine mount, engine, and battery pack have common grounding. Making sure that everything shares a common ground, including the R/C system is necessary. Also make sure the spark plug lead is shielded and well-grounded, too.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 AM
bronco_ov10a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bax if the plug lead being shielded is so critical then why isn't the engine supplied with an ign unit that has this shielding installed like most of the other brand name ign units.

I have shielded mine using the braid from TV coax cable but i cannot get inside the unit to obtain continuity and its hard to shield the rubber spark plug boot. and still make it look pretty.

I have an ign unit from china and 1/3 the price with all the shielding in place.

any thoughts on why Fuji-imac don't do the shielding?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Kometfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply put, bean counters aka accountants. I am having to convert my Fuji to the XYZ ignition system, the factory module is unshielded and has a very weak spark compared to the XYZ. The difference is in the regulated voltage going to the Hall Effect Sensor, Fuji's is 3.98 vdc, XYZ's is 5.38 vdc. This difference causes the Fuji supplied sensor to fire early, I am going to step down the voltage to 3.98 and retry. Also finding a plug with appropriate hex 5/8 for the XYZ has been a challenge. I attempted to shield the factory HT lead but found it so porous that when held close to the case it grounds out, so it cannot be shielded. All in all, a very poor showing for Hobbico and Tower.

My engine makes the aileron servos twitch and I have taken all the precautions, such as servo and wire distance.

This has been way too much work to get my airplane in the air, I shall not buy another gas engine from Tower.

Roy
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on back BAX we need answers, please post we buy these fujis because we like them. we have no other source to turn to.