Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-62 Spring Starter Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-62 Spring Starter Slipping

Anyone else have this problem/remedy? Engine is new, but the spring starter slips, and I'm forced to use a starter. Hand-starting doesn't work.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: G-62 Spring Starter Slipping

When this happened to me I called Bill Bennett. He advised me to use a socket wrench to tighten the nut on the spring starter the one on the end of the shaft. I did this and it works perfectly now. If you're inclined, you could at the same time, remove the clutch and grease it. Since it's new, it may not need it. But definitely tighten the nut.
Sam
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

One end of the spring is supposed to be anchored. Check that out.

I had a spring break at the mount point once and unfortunately I had to spend $45 for a whole new spring starter just to get the new spring.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
arobatx

Since you are having problems, it sounds wise to diassemble the spring starter to inspect. You'll remove one of the rear engine mount bolts, which has a spacer and washer, and traps the spring end. The spring traps the one way bearing in place, so at this point the spring can be removed, and you can test the one way bearing for proper function before sliding it off the shaft. If all appears to function correctly, pull the bearing off the shaft, and check the tightness of the threaded on spring starter shaft. It is right hand threaded, so counter clockwise to loosen. I make sure a prop is mounted firmly up front, to assist in leverage to loosen or re-tighten it. If you do remove it, clean the threads and apply a little locktite and reinstall, then grease the rest of the assembly as the parts are fitted. I've never heard of one of these one way bearings going bad, but I'm sure its possible.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks for the good info., guys. I'll remove the engine and inspect it.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks for the good info., guys. I'll remove the engine and inspect it.
In addition to the above info, another common problem is grease that is too thick in the one way clutch. In cold weather, this grease won't allow the one way clutch to work properly. The common symptom is that when you wind the prop backwards, it will feel normal at first then you can feel the tension slowly slip away. It will also cause the prop to turn hard in the normal direction making hand starting all but impossible. Solution is to clean the clutch with a good solvent and regrease with a low viscous grease. Not sure what I used for grease in the past so can't recommend anything special but white lithium grease stays fairly pliable when cold. I would bet that any clean, fresh grease will solve the problem. Even just spraying the clutch with penetrating oil can fix the problem in a pinch. I still have (3) engines that use spring starters so get to play with them from time to time. They usually work great but seem to fail at the most inconvenient times ... like when you're a 100 miles away from home at a fly-in!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't believe hand starting doesn't work, remove the spring and starter, and follow directions in the manual. You must flip through 180 degrees as described in the manual
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tony Hallo

Don't believe hand starting doesn't work, remove the spring and starter, and follow directions in the manual. You must flip through 180 degrees as described in the manual
Its a technique thing .... either you can do it or you can't. Some guys couldn't hand start a mag equipped engine if they had to. Just won't or can't flip the prop correctly and can't seem to learn the technique even after repeated training sessions. Cranky old gray beards like me won't let an engine defeat them though!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

Truckracer, that sounds exactly like my problem. I'll try that when I inspect it. Thank you.