Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah backfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM
YOADRIAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah backfires

This G38 engine has been run about 4 times it is new yet has yet to fly, had it running good but not great, but now it just back fires and does not start. I reset the low and high needle back to two turns each yet it keeps back firing. Any help in this matter would be great.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Zenoah backfires

I'm guessing it still has the stock magneto and flywheel setup. Timing might have jumped which could be caused by the woodruff key shearing. Pull the prop hub and take a look see.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

There are starting instructions in the manual, I'm not sure about the 38 but G62 required that you start the flipping motion about 90 degrees ahead of TDC. I watched a person flip for 15 minutes and only get a pop out the card, backed up the prop and flipped through 180 degrees or so and it started right up, this was many years ago. Check your manual. It's hard to image you sheared the key without a prop strike but anything is possible.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
YOADRIAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct stock with mag. I will take a look at it but, new engine no flights and it shears that easy. The truth is i think i got me a lemon. The first day i took it out the box and the spark plug wire fell out of the mag should have told me something so i had to get a new one, then the carb had to be taken apart and cleaned because the high side and low side needles wouldn't adjust figure new plane,new engine must have been some dust. Then i get it running one night, seemed ok so i take it to the airfield so the gas experts can do the final adjusting and now this. I understand having to adjust a new engine and break it in but this is leaving a bad taste.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Rather than keep fiddling with it since it's new and should still be under warranty, send it back to the supplier and have it replaced or satisfactorily repaired.

Karol