Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Water Proof On/Off Swiches And J-Switches???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Water Proof On/Off Swiches And J-Switches???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Proof On/Off Swiches And J-Switches???

I wanted to know if there is such thing as a truely water proof switch and J Switch to charge the hump pack with out removeing the the water proof tape???

Id like a clean install type thing, at the moment im not haveing problems with water, i flipped the other day and the boat sat upside down in the water for over 30 minuets and no water came in, i used a switch rapped in fingure end of a glove and some goop here and there, it looks OK but id like something more profesinal looking and pratical

do you guys have any links to share?? im a huge car fan in pretty much every class and know where to buy/ and resolve problems in that department, but i jumped into the boats just 4-5 weeks ago and im still kinda slow when it comes to shoping for boats

PS ill post pics of my boat and set up its a aero marine 42 inch sprint cat
Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Water Proof On/Off Swiches And J-Switches???

Try warehouse hobbies, they sell a magnetic switch that uses no hole. But a little pricey at 40 bucks.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
planebasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I make my on/off switch and charging jack water proof and never take the tape off of the radio box. And, it is not bad looking and cost nothing.

Mount your on/off switch in the lid of your radio box. Cut a slit just big enough for the Battery charging plug to slip thru in another location on the lid.

I use the screw on top and very top portion of a plastic water bottle. Cut it off just below the flange where the bottle starts to flare out.
Sand it flat and leave it scuffed. Pull your charging lead thru the slot and place a tie rap around it to keep it from creeping back in the box or I just put a loose knot in the wire.

Coat the bottom of the bottle neck with thirty minute epoxy and place one over the switch and one over the charging jack.

The cap can be removed with less than one full turn and is water tight and it can be painted if you wish I just leave mine clear.

Never had one to leak..

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Du-Bro makes a standard size waterproof toggle switch boot with a nice aluminum clamp plate you could use if you like that idea.

Charging jacks can be mounted to the outside of your radio box using just a couple of small screws and nuts, and use a pair of jumpers with alligator clips. I've seen that method also. Just drill a hole for each, solder your battery charging leads to them, or capture them under the head of the bolt from the inside, and run the nut and a washer to the outside of it, and clip to them. Just seal with a little bit of silicone before you run the washer and nut down, or under the head of the screw.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Speedmaster ( www.rossisales.com ) sells a really nice waterproof switch, one of the best that I've seen. It uses a lift and lock to go from on to off.
I've seen lots of ways to fully waterproof a switch mount like the Du-Bro one. Some CA an Aeromarine pushrod boot over them.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 AM
MrMikeG

Batteries release explosive gasses as they are charged, one little spark in a sealed box and it could explode! Happened to a seasoned boater here in Australia (that I know personally) and I have seen pics on the net of it happening in the US. Best to open the box or remove the batteries when charging. If you don't like Tape get a bolt on lid like Dr Buck's Box.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
t00fatt

So these packs let of hydrogen like a lead acid battery? I did not know that, good to know.